cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google WiFI with FTTP and Hub One

gavcuk
Grafter

Google WiFI with FTTP and Hub One

Has anyone set this up with their FTTP installation?

At first I thought my line speed was not up to the promised 76/19 but having done wired speed tests I can see it is working just fine and any issues about speed over wifi are therefore down to the Hub One performance.

I am considering adding something like Google WiFi to provide more reliable speed and coverage. In all honesty, the Hub One seems ok for coverage but the speeds seem highly variable. I'd also like to be able to set priority devices so that no one device can hog the network to everyone else's detriment. Google WiFi seems to fit the bill but I have a couple of concerns.

1.) Can I use it with the Hub One? From what I read the Hub One will not act as a modem only and so I'd have to replace it with another modem. That said with FTTP is the ONT from Openreach not acting as the modem? Can I plug straight the Google WiFi or other router straight into that?

2.) Ethernet Ports - One good thing about the Hub One is I can connect my Hive Hub, Sonos Hub and wireless oil meter via Ethernet. Google WiFi seems to be poorly equipped with Ethernet ports so I'm wondering how I will connect everything up. I believe I could buy a switch for a tenner that might solve that.

Am I wasting my time going down the Google WiFi route? Do I just need a better router? Most of them are ugly as hell so I'd want to hide it and I could really do without a crazy configuration panel. Google at least seems to keep it simple as far as that is concerned.

Would be good to hear if anyone else has done this. I've seen other posts in the community but not specifically relating to FTTP and whether the Openreach equipment changes things.

Thanks

Gavin

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

9 REPLIES 9
gavcuk
Grafter

Re: Google WiFI with FTTP and Hub One

In the time it took to retrieve my post out of the spam folder, I purchased Google WiFi and took the Plusnet router out of the equation.

I’m very happy with it and particularly like being able to prioritise a device to protect its bandwidth and remote access whereby I can run speed tests and see who is on the network and at what speeds while I’m away from home. Recommended.
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

gavcuk wrote:

1.) Can I use it with the Hub One? From what I read the Hub One will not act as a modem only and so I'd have to replace it with another modem. That said with FTTP is the ONT from Openreach not acting as the modem? Can I plug straight the Google WiFi or other router straight into that?

You connect Google WiFi to the ONT, the Hub one is redundant

2.) Ethernet Ports - One good thing about the Hub One is I can connect my Hive Hub, Sonos Hub and wireless oil meter via Ethernet. Google WiFi seems to be poorly equipped with Ethernet ports so I'm wondering how I will connect everything up. I believe I could buy a switch for a tenner that might solve that.

Yep, just buy an ethernet switch to provide the extra ports you need

kpcassell419
Hooked

Hi, I was just wondering about getting Google WiFi mesh network as I also have fibre to the property (with the BT ONT modem installed). I purchased a TP-Link Archer VR2600 VDSL modem router which disconnects and freezes constantly and with their customer services blaming my settings or the the provider and not their terrible hardware, I wanted to change to Google WiFi. I was curious as to what settings you had to change in the primary Google Node to enable it to connect, and if it ever disconnects or hangs etc (or needs restarting to get a connection back?). Many thanks.
gavcuk
Grafter

I bought google wifi and retired the Hub one. It works great. Part of me think it is quite an expensive solution but it is doing a great job and I like being able to remotely speed test and prioritise any device.
kpcassell419
Hooked

Nice, so the ONT BT Modem plugs directly into the Google wifi and you were able to access the internet after setting up connection details? (I thought spending £299 on a TP-Link VDSL WiFi router was an expensive solution but it proved me wrong).

gavcuk
Grafter

Yes direct connection from ONT port one into google WiFi. Nice elegant solution which just works and provides great coverage, although to be honest I didn’t have an issue with the hub one coverage.

My next goal is to bin the landline and use VoIP!
kpcassell419
Hooked

VoIP should hopefully eliminate cold callers too......for the time being.

Thanks for answering, it's really cleared a ton of awkward questions to google technical support! I'll seriously consider it. Do you happen to stream 4K content to your TV via netflix or similar as I saw the transfer speeds of the google wifi weren't too quick.

gavcuk
Grafter

4K was never on my agenda tbh but transfer speeds seem just fine. If I test my iPhone WiFi speed I’ll get anything from 40 to 65mbps (on the 80/20 service.

The wired line speed tends to be 68-74.
kpcassell419
Hooked

Great, seems good enough. Netflix 4K requires transfer speeds of 25mbps or more so that should be plenty! Thanks again. Very helpful.