cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full fibre upgrade nightmare

janeybeans
Grafter

Full fibre upgrade nightmare

On 16th March I placed order to upgrade to full fibre. Since then it's been like banging my head against a brick wall.

Original date to be switched on was 3rd April. An Openreach guy came out around 25th March and said would need to get cable through to house so would need to dig, and therefore wouldn't go ahead on 3rd. 5th April Openreach came out, explained what needed doing, I signed permissions, he checked where work needed to be done and sprayed pavement and across grass. He said it'd be a week or two before they did the dig. I then got a message saying they were going to do the dig on 17th. As far as I can see they didn't turn up (I was in most of the day and there was no sign of them on the door camera). I've been chasing Plusnet and all they can tell me is they need to dig and given me a date of end of July!

Next door to us had full fibre installed a few weeks ago, there was about 2 weeks from spray paint markings to the dig work. This is approx 3 feet from where ours needs to go. I cannot get a sensible answer from anyone as to why this is dragging on for so long. I've called again this afternoon to be told next update is Friday but that I probably won't be told what that is until Monday. Additionally, our April bill ended up being double what it is normally so had hassle getting that resolved and expect same to happen next month.

Sorry, this is pretty much just a rant. Has anyone else had these issues and did you get it resolved? As far as I can tell there's no way for Joe Public to speak to Openreach.
2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Re: Full fibre upgrade nightmare

Sorry, this is pretty much just a rant. Has anyone else had these issues and did you get it resolved?

@janeybeans I'm afraid that, particularly where things like digs are needed, Openreach work at their own sweet pace!. There's very little that ISP's can do to speed them up. Openraech give a date for the next update and ISP's wont get any information before then.

As far as I can tell there's no way for Joe Public to speak to Openreach. 

Correct, sometimes an email to the Openreach CEO can kick things along...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

janeybeans
Grafter

Re: Full fibre upgrade nightmare

Thanks. It's just so frustrating!

On the plus side, after posting this I spoke to billing and he sorted out the account so we won't get overcharged next month, so that's one less hassle!