cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full fibre 900 but not even half the speeds over Ethernet.

Karamelk
Hooked

Re: Full fibre 900 but not even half the speeds over Ethernet.

@bobpullen im willing to try anything. Will take my laptop over to my relatives house to test wired in their network, in the meantime, I have tried a different laptop over wired and now seeing between 400- 500mb wired. I'm perplexed.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Do these laptops have SSD drives and how recent are they? I mentioned it previously, but client hardware specs also need to be taken into account. Example: a 5400RPM spinning hard drive might have a maximum write speed of 75MB/s, which equates to 600mbps i.e. two thirds of the speed of a 900mbps broadband connection, and that's assuming no overheads/contention affecting the disk I/O.

If the laptop simply cannot write data to its storage medium quickly enough, then it's not going to be able to saturate a 900mbps Internet connection. Likewise if it doesn't have enough available free memory or a decent enough CPU/processor.

I wonder if it's worth looking at the Task Manager (assuming Windows) the next time you run a wired speedtest?

disc_taskman.jpg

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@bobpullen 

Inspection of machine stats is a good tool to add to FTTP speed concerns diagnostics.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Karamelk
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen bit of an update. The device is more than capable of 1gbps over Ethernet, SSD i5 less than a year old laptop. Now when I test via mlabs measurement I'm seeing around 700mbps over Ethernet, other sites such as fast.com and speed test.net barely 500mbps. The btw speed test doesn't even register above 400mbps!?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 413

The most consitent speedtest for the high speed connections is the Ookla one , preferably the cli version

https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Karamelk - looks like specs should be OK then. Is it a corporate laptop, and if so is it configured to use any VPN/corproate intranet connections? That's another potential bottleneck.

I haven't tried regrading your line yet because I'm becoming less confident that it's going to help, particularly as you've now seen ~700mbps. I think the real litmus test will be what either laptop can do at the other location (make sure to use the same cables etc.)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵