Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber Install Complete

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Fiber Install Complete

OK you can be my trial guineapig - this is a soup to nuts guide on this issue which the SUs have been bringing together.  This is the final draft... the ink is still wet, this version being completed a few minutes ago.

"Do a speed test and I max out at 94. This is a wired connection."

I think the last but one point might be relevant here - the PC's ethernet port?  Let us know how you get on with this!

FTTP data test speeds not as expected

There have been numerous reports of measured data speeds not fulfilling users' expectations of their shiny new FTTP service. An end to end data speed test is a somewhat blunt instrument with which to test the connection speed. In most instances the FTTP service is running at the product's connection speed, but the user's environment or the data speed test service cannot saturate the FTTP connection's bandwidth.

We can no longer have confidence that the cause of slower than expected data transfer speed is due to the broadband connection's performance. If there is any doubt that the user's technology, infrastructure or chosen test service cannot saturate the FTTP link, then a data speed test is likely to deliver misleading results.

Here are a few things to consider / investigate...

1. Is the ethernet cable between the router and the ONT CAT5e or better?
    CAT5 or below will not transfer data faster than 100mbps thus a simple cable could be the culprit of slow data speeds. The ethernet link rate between hub and ONT can be observed in the Hub Two GUI under 'Status'. This is a good indicator of router <> ONT cable function.

2. Is the device on which the data speed test is being run connected over (CAT5e) ethernet cable (not WiFi)?
    A device connected over 2.4GHz WiFi absolutely will not get anywhere close to 300mbps. It will typically be less than 100mbps. Typical 'good' 5GHz performance using the Hub Two is likely to be below 500mbps and will get lower the further away you are from the router. More optimal Wi-Fi performance is possible but involves sourcing your own third party equipment that is capable of the newer standards. Also Wi-Fi performance is equally dependent on the client. Some older devices don't support 5GHz, and even the most recent smartphones only have a 2x2 antenna array, which limits the number of concurrent Wi-Fi streams (the hub can use more streams / go faster, but most clients cannot).

3. Is the device on which the data speed test is being run connected over (CAT5e) ethernet cable with no intermediary devices (like Powerline adapters, switches and physical ports) on the LAN side?
    Irrespective of cabling, if is a 10/100 ethernet switch in the chain then it's going to bottleneck things. If relying on Powerline adapters, it is highly unlikely to be able to pull anywhere close to 300mbps through electrical wiring. Many Powerline adapters that are rated at e.g. 500mbps, actually have only 10/100 ethernet ports which means the advertised speeds are near fiction.

4. There are no other active devices active on the network at the time of the test.
    Other concurrent use of the network will reduce the bandwidth available for the data speed test, thus delivering a misleading result.

5. If on a static IP or using the Plusnet firewall (configured in the user portal) has the Plusnet IP profile updated?
    Speed tests performed soon after the service has been connected (but before Plusnet's systems have updated) might be constrained by the accounts data speed profile. Disconnect the router from the ONT, wait a short while, reconnect then check that the Current Line Speed (Download) reported in PN Broadband Status reflects the FTTP product's profile.

6. If using a third party router ensure that QoS (or other traffic shaping tools) are disabled.
    QoS and other tools have been seen to cause havoc with attempting to saturate FTTP links. Prioritisation / QoS features are very processor intensive and can (probably will) significantly bottleneck speeds.

7. Is the test device is configured to use any VPN / corporate intranet connection?
    They can be another potential bottleneck.

8. Is the test device capable of moving the data at FTTP speeds?
    Some kit simply does not have the power to saturate FTTP connection speeds. Whilst undertaking data speed tests, (in windows) use Task Manager's performance tab to check throughput limitations do not arise from...
    • CPU performance
    • Disk write / read speeds - FTTP will easily saturate a 5400 rpm disk
    • Memory utilisation - the data has to go somewhere!
    • Network performance - unless the machine is reasonably new, the ethernet port will be limited to 100mbps!!

9. Speed test service
    Not all speed test services are dependable nor consistent, so run some comparable tests on different speed test services, at different times of day and night (both on and off-peak) where possible. The following are good points of reference.

Please check out the above to ensure that the perceived data speed is not compromised by something other than the fear that the FTTP connection speed is not what it "should" be.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

khaled35
Rising Star

Thanks everyone. I've ordered new cat5e cables for everything. Should get them tomorrow.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 413

As @Baldrick1 said earlier, the cable from the ONT to the router must be OK, since you're getting 277Mb wireless. 

It looks like the problem is with the pc you're running the wired test, either the cable connecting it is not cat5e OR the network card is not gigabit capable OR the pc is old and just not up to the high speeds.

You should be able to check the pc connection speed o  the Hub 2 devices list

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

khaled35
Rising Star

I did see that but figured, these cables are old and they're long. I have a 20m cable running from ONT to router when I just need 5m. Just doing a bit of a refresh.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The path between the wired device you're testing from and the hub needs checking. Those cables need to be > Cat5e and the device itself (and any others in the path, e.g. switches/Powerline adapters) need to have Gigabit ethernet ports too. If the physical port on any of these devices is only 10/100 then no amount of cable jiggling is going to help.

As others have said, router <> ONT is fine if you can pull > 100mbps using Wi-Fi.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

khaled35
Rising Star

Just an update: Setup new cables all over and issue has resolved.

This new hub is pretty good. If I'm on top of the modem, I get a better wireless speed than I do on a wired (1.5m cable from router to PC, 3m cable from ONT to router) connection.

I've only tested from my phone, and very often I get the full 300.

This isn't an issue (for me), just an observation.