cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP connection running slowly

bb4

FTTP connection running slowly

Hi,

We were connected to the Plusnet FTTP trial at the end of last week, and our 80/20 line seems to be running at 11/20 for some reason.

The first person I spoke to at Plusnet when we were first connected mentioned that the speed profile needs to be changed. The second person I spoke to says my line is still showing up as ADSL, and they will raise a fault with Openreach. The third person I spoke to (most recent) says the second person was wrong, and that he thinks there's some congestion on our virtual circuit at the exchange and has made arrangements with Openreach to move our line to another VC.

The bizarre thing is, we are in a very rural (ex-ADSL Max) area with a new FTTP fit out and I find it hard to imagine there is much congestion around here. Especially when getting 20 Mbps upload speed.

I've raised the ticket #149848204 with Plusnet support, but am not confident it will be resolved properly as I can't seem to get hold of anyone who has FTTP experience within the contact centre.

Would one of Plusnet's FTTP experts be able to have a look at our issue and see if there is anything glaringly wrong? I suspect we have still been left on an ADSL speed profile but can't be certain.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: FTTP connection running slowly

What speed does this show?  https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (login required)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bb4

It shows 80Mb.

Worryingly, it also displays the wrong phone number and the wrong exchange (by wrong, I mean "other side of the country" wrong...)

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hi @bb4 and welcome to the forums.

The exchange and number aren't important. It has zero effect on your line.

I don't have a copper phone line so Plusnet use an exchange and number from a list of dummy numbers just  to satisfy the computer. 

Well if the line speed is showing as 80Mbps then that bit is okay unfortunately.

And the upload speed is correct so it looks like a limit somewhere on only the download speed.

Hopefully @BasilBrush or @HarryB will be able to provide an answer (There are 2 of the FTTP trial staff members)

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bb4

Thanks @SpendLessTime that's good to know. Hopefully @BasilBrush or @HarryB will be able to shed some light on what might be causing the slow down.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @bb4, sorry to hear you're experiencing some speed issues.

bb4 wrote:

Worryingly, it also displays the wrong phone number and the wrong exchange (by wrong, I mean "other side of the country" wrong...)

Nothing to worry about, it looks like the 0114 number displayed was simply the whitelisted fibre number we use to put an account on FTTP when there is no fibre available Wink

Strangely, the number on your account was correct. However I've also fixed the number being displayed on the page you were viewing on the member centre.

Looking at your account, I understand someone from our faults team has discussed this with you and there seems to be some congestion at the exchange. This is in hand with our suppliers and our faults team will continue to monitor this and keep you updated.

Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing, thanks for your patience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bb4

Hi @HarryB -

Thanks for taking a look. I was confused because each person at Plusnet was telling me it was a different cause.

The latest call told me that they are moving us to a new VC and from tomorrow the speeds should be faster. However with the max speed of FTTP rated at 330 Mbps, what is the likelihood of a small rural exchange being congested so much that it can only pump 11 Mbps?

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

It may not be the only factor causing the issue to be honest, however it's worth getting that resolved first and then continuing to investigate if it doesn't resolve the issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bb4

OK, I'll wait tomorrow to check. Interestingly, my "estimated speed" on the Plusnet broadband speed page has dropped to 8Mbps, even though "current speed" says 80Mbps. No idea what's going on.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@bb4 wrote:

Interestingly, my "estimated speed" on the Plusnet broadband speed page has dropped to 8Mbps, even though "current speed" says 80Mbps. No idea what's going on.

That's simply because the telephone number has been corrected and there is no FTTC available, therefore your account is giving you the speed estimates for the packages we actually offer (Not including trial products such as FTTP)

Previously the estimated speed will have shown as 80Mbps, because the telephone number sowing on that page was the whitelisted Fibre telephone number, which our system just recognises as having top end estimates for fibre speeds. This allows us to put fibre packages on accounts that can't actually get FTTC, which is required for us to put FTTP trial customers on fibre packages.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bb4

Ah, that makes sense. I'll give our ONT and router a reboot tomorrow morning and see whether the new VC has made any difference. Thanks for the help.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem Thumbs_Up

Hopefully there's a significant improvement, however we'll continue to investigate with our suppliers if not.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet