Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP and Residential number porting

FIXED
Shackman205
Rising Star

Re: FTTP and Residential number porting

Much as I hate to do so, I'm going ahead with my FTTP install (as part of a community voucher scheme I have to anyway, and I prefer Plusnet!), but the loss of my landline number is a major blow, and I still don't see why I couldn't port it to my VOIP provider 24 hours before hand and thus 'stop' my landline connection - the company has my old and new order in place as a straight swap. As it is I understand they will pull the plug on my landline first thing on the day of install, so I will still be without internet or phone until the install is completed later that day (hopefully!), so the  stated requirement to 'keep the landline active' isn't quite as it sounds

The move will give me (and anyone else in the same boat) a lot of extra work to inform people of the number change. Admittedly some can be done by email, but even I don't know how many friends, businesses and contacts have it down as my primary (or only) number. Although it is too late for me now, maybe the 'chiefs' at Plusnet can look at the 'problem' a little more closely.

My thanks to @Gandalf at least for 'suggesting' I wait a few days before ordering FTTP, although equally I wasn't expecting the porting problem. (Of note, a couple of other ISPs appear to offer number porting after install, as they leave the landline open to enable it to happen - and yes I could have gone with BT and had their 'Digital Voice' option).

ScottyKernow
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Understandable
I am currently with BT and am definately moving away, promised the world and very slow to achieve
Best of luck
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

@Shackman205 wrote:

... the loss of my landline number is a major blow, and I still don't see why I couldn't port it to my VOIP provider 24 hours before hand and thus 'stop' my landline connection

I suspect that there are numerous potential complications here in supporting an orthogonal migration to VoIP "before hand"...

1. The current owner's (Plunet's) cease order on the line might entirely inhibit placing a VoIP migration request with a third party
  2. If [1] does not apply, then the act of migrating the NUMBER could cause the service on the copper line to be ceased unilaterally
  3. If [2] applies that would probably result in Plusnet being advised that the service has been stopped by a third party ... resulting in the billing system trashing your account ... the one with the pending FTTP order

I do not know that the above is how things are, but it is logically possible!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

and I still don't see why I couldn't port it to my VOIP provider 24 hours before hand and thus 'stop' my landline connection - the company has my old and new order in place as a straight swap. As it is I understand they will pull the plug on my landline first thing on the day of install,

Porting a landline to voip takes a minimum 10 days from date of order. When the order is placed a 'cease' order will be placed for the port date. This cease order will EITHER prevent any FTTP migration order being placed OR the FTTP order will cancel the cease and thus kill the port ( not sure which will happen ) 

edit @Townman  explained it better than me

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Shackman205
Rising Star

Thanks for the two replies above which have (more or less) explained the problems - although when I first looked at porting my number some time ago before the FTTP roll out the answer was no for other reasons, so I didn't pursue it then.

nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Gandalf 

If I sign up for a new FTTP contract when that option becomes available and then when up and running port my number away thus killing the FTTC contract will early termination charge  be waived because I've just committed to a new contract with Plusnet?

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@nitram wrote:

will early termination charge  be waived because I've just committed to a new contract with Plusnet?

We don't know yet. We don't have any policies finalised yet and until they are there's nothing that we can share. Sorry.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
bigredbeast

Many thanks, I will be moving my domain out.

I would PM you but I haven't met the PM allowed criteria yet, maybe soon?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@bigredbeast One or two more forum posts should be enough to allow you to send a PM.

bigredbeast

Ah I see, many thanks

ukguy1
Aspiring Pro

Will new fttp orders (when available) still have a static ip option on residential connections?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Yes, bit with the caveat there is currently an issue that may impact assigning of static ip on connection.
It is under investigation.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
FlossyThePig
Rising Star

Am I getting paranoid. My phone line is dead but broadband still works. Is this a cunning plan to stop me cancelling the upgrade to FTTP and wait until it is available for new customers?

I followed the suggested process to report the fault by sending a text message which triggered an automated process. Initially the bot said it didn't find a fault but it wanted to run some more tests which found a fault. It should take between 1 and 4 working days to fix. There is a fault reference but I cannot find where I can enter it on the website to find the status.

All I want is FTTP and retain my landline number.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Look at the tickets on your account - see the link below.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@FlossyThePig  Did you cancel the upgrade order to FTTP which I said you must do in message #14 of this thread, it sounds like you didn't.  So you may well have lost your phone line and number.☹️

You said  "All I want is FTTP and retain my landline number. As as been pointed out in the forum at the present time with the way that Plusnet systems operate you cannot achieve that result.