cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draytek Routers on FTTP

ecomergy
Rising Star

Draytek Routers on FTTP

Just thought I would share this on here as I’ve had this particular issue since I started the trial and having spent hours (days) on it, I think I have finally solved it. It might help others who wish to use their existing Draytek routers on FTTP.
The issue:
When using a Draytek router on FTTP (using the WAN2 port with PPPoE), the router regularly reboots at seemingly random times (sometimes several times a day, but generally at least once every day)
What the internet says on the issue:
There are plenty of cases of this occurring, though there seems to be no hard resolution, assuming you have already updated to the latest firmware etc.
What the problem seem to actually be:
Now you’v got your superfast 80MB connection, you want to make use of it. Thing is that it seems the Draytek struggles keeping up with the speed of this connection when you’re trying to use it flat out. You might think you would never manage to use it all but if you share your connection around your house/business you might be surprised how much you can actually use. We use our connection in a small hotel and it is shared with the guests. On busy days with people using the likes of iplayer in their rooms, the 80MB could get eaten up. The 20MB UP is also at risk.
The fix: (well it worked for me)
Turn on QOS on your connection in the Draytek router page. Remember to set the QOS values to be real world (e.g. 19MB UP, 76MB (or 38MB if you've gone for the slower FTTP) DOWN – you can play with these values a little though remember your 80/20 connection whilst really being 80/20 on FTTP as opposed to FTTC does have overheads so best go for values in the QOS settings a little lower than you would expect.
I’ve actually also found that you only need to turn QOS on on the UPLOAD connection, though you might want to try both first if this issue is affecting you as you’ll know pretty quickly (within a day or so) if this is indeed going to help you solve this.
You don’t need to even configure the traffic types, though I’d advise ticking the check box for VOIP  to be highest priority if you use such services.
Reboot your router and you should stay connected until the next power cut or remote outage or whatever 
Consequences?
Only one I have found so far is that things such as ‘speed tests’ are slower after 4pm - probably down to connection usage and you would expect that if you are using part of your connection elsewhere (kids eat bandwidth for breakfast!). Perhaps MattC can shed some light as to if there is any kind of traffic shaping or throttling on FTTP after 4pm?
I hope this helps someone who has been struggling with this problem. I was nearly ready to replace the router but now I don’t need to.
8 REPLIES 8
JasonMassey
Grafter

Re: Draytek Routers on FTTP

Thanks for the information above.
I don't have FTTP, but do have FTTC.  I've never known any issue like this, however have always used QOS.
Just out of curiosity what model routers are effected by above?
ecomergy
Rising Star

We have Draytek 2830's and 2860's here and it works for both of those. It may well affect others as well. Prior to using basic QOS we were getting dropped a few times a day - it's now been nearly three weeks and counting and still connected Smiley
JasonMassey
Grafter

I have an 2860n myself.  As mentioned I don't have FTTP, however again thanks for heads up.
2brains

I would also try turning QOS off in the web interface, and then telnet to the vigor and disable QOS there, as I heard a while back that QOS is never really disabled unless it is disabled via Telnet, so QOS was potentially active in the background before you set it to the correct speeds for your connection.
CommsMan

Hi all,

I have tried getting a Draytek 2860n working on FTTP, but no matter what I seem to try, I cannot get it working. I have got it set-up on WAN2 with the correct PPPoE credentials, and I have tried a variation of different settings, including speaking to Draytek themselves, but no one can tell me where I am going wrong. 

Has anyone else had this issue, or anyone who has a Draytek 2860n working on an FTTP connection, can you send me a back-up of your working config?

Thank you!

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@CommsMan

There are plenty of people using DrayTek routers successfully on FTTP, I'm using a 2920Vn.

I don't think anybody would be wise to send you a backup of their settings as that will include various sensitive settings (I'm not sure how that can be done without sending the complete config file).

Why don't you tell us your settings as you've entered them on here so someone might see where you've gone wrong?  (Sanitise user/password)

CommsMan

@RobPN

From looking at other forums on here, it seemed to be that they do work on an FTTP connection, which is why I was asking for help, as I couldn't understand how we were getting it wrong, and Draytek were unable to advise what we were doing wrong either.
I don't need a proper config file including all your PPPoE credentials, I just need to see what settings I need enabled and what they need to be set to for it to work, i.e. VLAN tag, the MTU size, etc. 

I can't provide a screenshot of settings as it would require me going to a customer to get this and that would cause too much disruption for them. Even just a list of all settings you need to do something with and what you set them to, to get a connection to the internet working would be fine.

Anything you can do to help will be massively appreciated!

jonmach

Hi - did you get this resolved? It looks like I'm experiencing exactly the same thing as you with a 2860n+ router.