Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable routing inside flat

chris1610
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Cable routing inside flat

I've applied to join the trial, now thinking about how the internal install will go.

Am I right in thinking Openreach won't try and hide cables? Will they offer any options that don't require a fibre (or ethernet) cable to be visibly routed along walls? Visible cables are no good for me.

The fibre will enter directly into a utility cupboard in my flat, next to the front door, which happens to be where the phone master socket is. (The cupboard also contains a gas boiler, hot and cold water tanks, water pumps, and the remnants of a disabled burglar alarm system. There are no power sockets there, but the burglar alarm mains supply could probably be used to power some new sockets.) So I suppose my default option (i.e. the only one I understand how to achieve) would be to get an electrician to create a couple of sockets in that cupboard, and maybe mount the router on the hallway wall with it's power and ethernet cables going into the cupboard. Wifi from there should easily reach the rest of the flat, and I can use a powerline on one of the sockets to provide wired access as well.

That option aside, is there any easy way to get concealed fibre or ethernet to another room, so the router can be located there? Building is a modern flat, with wood floors a few inches above concrete base so that plumbing pipes etc. can run under floors. I'm not sure how hard it would be to take up wall-to-wall carpets and/or wood floors to run a cable underneath. Who would do that, if I wanted to pay someone? Is it an electrician job?

One of the preferred locations for the router has an obsolete (dead) telephone socket, is there any way that connection to the utility cupboard could be taken advantage of to facilitate the router being there?

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Cable routing inside flat

I believe you are correct in that OpenReach will not hide cables. At best they will put Network Termination Box(??) at a location of you choice within a certain distance of the incoming entry point. You do, however, require a power source to power the NTB (along with one for your router).

An electrician should be able to run Ethernet cable as well as install new power sockets but it all depends on your flat - and how much upheaval you're willing to suffer. The unused phone extension might be a possibility - you might be able to pull cable through. I think you can get Ethernet sockets that look like phone sockets.

Brian

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The engineer should be able to install where you request assuming that it's not inaccessible to them and they can bring the cable in at that point.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chris1610
Grafter

Fibre has already been routed to a utility cupboard just outside my front door, that has a common wall with the flat, so I don't think I have a choice about where it's going to enter the flat.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Based on another thread on this Forum (Pre 1st Visit Questions) it may be the engineer is able to run cable outside your flat and enter at  another point so that the NTB (or whatever it's called) is located at a more suitable location for your router.

However you'd not know for certain until an engineer shows up. If you'd prefer this to the expected entry point then I'd suggest you hold off doing anything about new power sockets / cabling until he NTB is installed. You might well need a power extension lead in the short term to ensure there is power for the NTB if it does come in where expected.

Brian

chris1610
Grafter

I've change my mind about what would be best.  Overall, having the ONT and router in the utility cupboard and an aesthetically optimal wireless access point directly outside providing wifi access will actually be a tidier solution than having the router elsewhere.

So my provisional plan is to:-

1.)  Get a good quality 4 socket extension cord that can be fastened to the wall near the ceiling of the cupboard. This will power the ONT, the router, and the wireless access point. The extension cord will be a simple one with no surge protection, so I can plug a powerline device into it.

2.) Wire the extension cord into the fused connection unit in place of the wire going to the defunct burglar alarm. (Could also change that unit into a socket for the extension instead, but that's probably slightly harder.)

3.)  There is a place for the router to stand above the cupboard doorway, where it will be out of the way. So the router will be inside the cupboard with the router wifi disabled. The router will supply ethernet to a powerline adaptor and the wireless access point. 

4.)  The wireless access point will be mounted either on the wooden hatch above the cupboard door, or on the plasterboard wall just next to it. All that is required to mount it is to drill one hole big enough for an ethernet cable (that also carries power) to go through, and a couple of small holes to support the access point back-plate

I did consider mounting the hub one on the outside of the cupboard, so no separate wireless access point would be needed, but neither it nor any other white router I've come across looks like it could be as easily mounted while concealing all cables as could a wireless access point that has been specifically designed for wall-mounting.

The access point I currently have in mind is this one:-

http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/23763-ubiquiti-uap-ac-lite/#content