Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial

The first 4 Thomson TG789vn routers have arrived. Just need to create some instructions for them. Everything is ready BT side for Monday so I'll let you guys know when the orders have been placed and the appointments are.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
readingg
Grafter

Can I just check something which may cause me a problem - is 20 metres the maximum distance from the external connector box to the ONT, you mentioned previously that there was an option of up to 30metres.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

20 metres is the maximum distance, there should be an option for a 30m fibre, I'll check on that for you.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

jonnywishbone  and cjecharman - we've got a 4 day delay on your lines while we wait for areas to become available. Makes the earliest date now 23rd July.
herbiejhopkins  - trying to place your order today, got a couple of issues with it at the moment. Will update your ticket this afternoon when I know what's happening.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
jonnywishbone
Grafter

I susupected as much as there are still engineers working up my street this morning and over the weekend.  Undecided
I suppose it gives more time for planning and we will learn from the experiences of those who get it installed earlier.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Had a call yesterday to get an update, I'm hopeful the delay affecting jonnywishbone and cjecharman won't be too long. I'll be in touch when I can place the orders.
readingg - currently there's only a 20m cable option, they are looking at doing a 30m option in the future but it's not available yet. Does that present a problem?
herbiejhopkins  - order looking good for Monday.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
readingg
Grafter

Well if the patch cable is allowed to go through a wall, down the inside of my integral garage, and out the other side then it won't be a problem at all.  I don't want it to be a problem, I'll drill the holes myself if necessary (making sure of course that they accommodate a 6mm width cable with a minimum bend radius of 10mm!).
Knavesdied

Hi Dave
Please add me to the list for FTTP trial. I'm in Middleton, Milton Keynes, and on the Bradwell Abbey exchange. Postcode MK10 9JR. The Openreach guys said they were pretty much finished in my street. Happy to be in any publicity too.
Many thanks  Smiley
David
herbiejhopkins
Dabbler

Just a quick update for Dave and anyone that's interested.
My FTTP line was activated this morning!!  Grin There were a few technical difficulties yesterday and so the engineers couldn't quite finish the job then (turned out somebody had neglected to plug a cable in at the exchange). They were back at 8am this morning though to finish the job.
Once the ONT had been activated it was a simple matter of plugging in my router and reconfiguring with the PPPoE details (I'm using my own Netgear WNR3500L rather than the Thomson unit as I already had that and am quite happy with it). I didn't have too much time to test things out this morning as I had to come into work  Sad but did manage to do a few speed tests. The best download speed I got was 77Mb!! I tried 3-4 different speed test sites and the results did seem to vary a bit but it may well depend on how much bandwidth the site has/how busy it was more than the line. I was getting the 15Mb upstream consistently. Latency was pretty incredible as well, I was getting 5-6ms to bbc.co.uk. I must find time to fire up a FPS at some point and pwn.
I'll be sure to do some more thorough downloading/gaming testing later.
Many thanks,
Herbie
JEB
Grafter

Impressive.
You do realise I will now be forced to get a couple more FTTC lines installed and bonded together just so I can beat your speeds  Wink

James
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

David - thanks, your postcode is on the list and should be covered in the next batch to go live which I'm just waiting to hear when the go date is. Keep an eye on the availability checker:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
as this will show when it's ready. I'll be in touch when it is.
herbiejhopkins - brilliant! So glad that it's working. Be interesting to see what it's like tonight. Thinkbroadband have asked if you can run their speedtest if you have time please:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
and post what you get.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
herbiejhopkins
Dabbler

The following was from the thinkbroadband speedtester.

Speedtester results were a bit slower during peak hours (60-70 Mb) but I did see some impressive speeds early this morning:

So far the connection has been 100% stable, no problems to report. A huge upgrade to my 2Mb ADSL2+ !
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Wow, impressive Cheesy
jonnywishbone
Grafter

I'd get up at 06:49am to peform speedtests too if I knew I was getting those speeds :o.
Shouldn't have too wait too much longer mind you, I haven't seen a Openreach van in Middleton for a few days which would hopefully suggest they are finished installing the fibre.
scootie
Grafter

herbie your line is 61.58 times faster than my adsl line during off peak hours  Cry . how about you give me your wi fi pass and rent me 5mb of that fiber line  Smiley
thinking about it you probably have at least 4 street's worth of my estate's whole bandwidth. that's insane but beautiful