Did you mean: 

Slower Speeds than Connected Rate

FIXED
looneylemon
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Slower Speeds than Connected Rate

Hi,

We had some problems with an appliance in the house that kept tripping the RCD. We didn’t realise that the router was on the same circuit so it kept getting rebooted.

As a result our lines speed was reduced as it thought there was a fault. I raised case with support, who kindly reset the line. The  actual rate has now synced back where it used to be at 48999k, but we jut can’t get above 35mb on Speedtests. 

Can someone do some checks and see what’s going on? It’s when streaming we are struggling at the moment. 

Also, this is the first time this line has ever been used for DSL, so not sure if the line can do better than 50mb sync or not.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Re: Slower Speeds than Connected Rate

Thanks for your post @looneylemon and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see your speed hasn't recovered fully after the drops you've had.

I've tested your line and I've looked into this for you and I can see that the IP profile of the line is about 45.2mbps, which is on target for a sync speed of 48.9mbps, and in turn a throughput of 35mbps is relatively OK as Retransmission High is enabled on the line. This is a form of error correction and it can push a throughput down.

Unfortunately this is controlled by the automated dynamic line management (or DLM for short) software at the cabinet (the green box in the road) and we can't manually change this particular setting.

The good news however is that we should be able to improve your sync speed further, because it's currently banded at 49mbps by the DLM software and we can remove bandings if a speed's restricted by one, so I've arranged for this now, which should go through within the next 3 working days and this should in turn increase your throughput. 

Let me know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
looneylemon
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: Slower Speeds than Connected Rate

Fix

Thanks for this.

It's happily been about 45mbps throughput for the past few months, so hopefully it can get back to that over the next few days.

If it refuses to go higher than 35 then we'll have to look at moving to Virgin I think to get better speeds, but at this point I'd rather chop of my arm than do that.