cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow fiber speeds, worthy of a ticket ?

MrFronk

Slow fiber speeds, worthy of a ticket ?

Hi All,
So I got fiber installed at the 28th of July. Plenty of stuff went wrong before that happened, but lets leave that in the middle for now.
An engineer came over and installed everything. On day 1, I got speeds around 51 Mbps (tested via speedtest.net).
Since then, it seems to have slowed down, with ups and downs.
I know I need to give it +- 10 day's to stabalise, but at the moment i'm getting a solid 19Mbps and start to worry that this is not the speed I want to get out of my line.
When checking the plusnet site I found tips like 'try to swap router'. Well, fair point, but the router just came here out of the box, and it did reach way higher speeds.
Any suggestions on what I should do in my case ?

Many thanks in advance,
A sad Fiber user.

EDIT: Wrong date used.
20 REPLIES 20
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Slow fiber speeds, worthy of a ticket ?

Hi Frank,
A warm welcome to the forums.
First there is no such thing as a 10 day stabilisation period with fibre, it is what it is from day one.  Also in the context of fibre, the router has no bearing on synch speed.
Do you recall what your ADSL profile speed was?  In the early days of fibre, it has been known for a late ADSL update from BTOR to clobber the PlusNET profile figure for the line, thereby limiting data transfer speeds, which is the only measure you can obtain of a fibre service with a locked down BTOR modem.
Have a look at the PN profile (current speed) link below (you will need to log into the portal.  Personally I'd give it 48 hours to see if there is an improvement.  With fibre, you can reset the router to force a profile update, but avoid resetting the modem as that will mess with the DLM.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrFronk

Hi Townman,
Thanks for replying so fast. I just moved to this place, which had nothing installed before.
I had a new phone line installed first, and then 2 weeks later an engineer came over to install my fiber.
If i click on the current speed link, it tells me we measured 57Mbps, you have: 21Mbps.
These are some results from the bt line speed check:
http://imgur.com/kUYwvG0
Starmans
Grafter

Are you testing via Wi-Fi or a Ethernet connection?
MrFronk

I tested both day 1, and now on a cable.
nice feature of speedtest.net: it won't let you test your speed over wifi (cable only)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Frank,
Well that looks grim.  Did you do the further diagnostics / click continue?
What speeds does this - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwchecker.htm - estimate for your line?
Is there any noise on the line?  Dial 17070 option 2.  Is the fibre modem in the master socket or on a data extension?
If there is noise on the line, then raise a voice service fault.  If not, I'd raise a bb fault.  Use the links below.
I'm going to ask the mods to move this to the fibre forum, as there are community members there who might have further advice.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrFronk

FTTC Range A (Clean) 78.9 59.7 20 18.6 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 70.4 46.2 20 13.7 -- Available
As for the noise: if i call that number should I hear nothing or ?
I do hear a very small noise, but that might just be my phone no ?
I mean, the same phone line ran 51Mbps on installation day.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Frank,
17070 option 2 might have a very quiet hum / hiss, but there should be no crackles or static.
I suggest to raise a broadband fault.
Kevin

MrFronk

No crackles or static. I can raise a broadband ticket but it tells me i should first try a different router...
I mean, yes, it could be the router, but I just have the bloody thing for 1,5 week or so.
Any tips ?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

nice feature of speedtest.net: it won't let you test your speed over wifi
Huh
I use speedtest.net over wifi.
>http://
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Although the house move had completed, the supplied product hadn't changed on our side. I've just fixed that so if you disconnect/reconnect and try another speedtest you should see an improvement.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MrFronk

Are you sure anything changed? I just ran another speedtest.net giving me 19Mbps down and 15Mbps up.
Raise a ticket ?
I've had to take a day off for my phone line, and a day off for my installment of internet.
I REALLY dont want to take another one off because of internet which isn't reaching the speeds its capable off (I pretty much don't have any days left)
Is this solvable without taking a day off ?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Did you drop the connection in the router wait 30 seconds then connect again this is so the changes on plusnets end get updated to you, Dont touch the modem you could get DLM intervention if you do just the router that should do the job, if it doesn't then yeah raise a fault ticket.

MrFronk

Doh. I should learn to read before posting Wink
I went into my router and disconnected / reconnected with a 30sec interval and i get 53Mbps down dow with 10 up.
Let's hope it stays this way! Cheesy
Westy

Hi All.
I am new on Plusnet but am having almost exactly the same issues as MrFronk. Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Fiber was installed on 5th and was getting around 52mb download speed.
After about 12 hrs it had dropped to just 20mb and hasn't budged since.
The upload speed has been stable at about 10mb.
I have just tried and checked all the suggestions above, Reported speed by plus net and the Kitz site all ok
FTTC Range A (Clean)           80 62.5      20      20 --    Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 75.6 51.5 20 15.6 -- Available
spoke to Plusnet on the online Chat but they said they couldn't really help as it was still during the 10day. they did suggest I log a fault which I have but haven't had any response as yet but as with MrFronk One of the tests is to swap the router which I haven't done as its only a few days old do I realy need to try another?  Can I use any as I only have my old ADSL one.
Was so looking forward to finally getting Fiber after a long wait to get it enabled in my area and this is really putting a bit of a downer on it.
Any Ideas?
Thanks
Ian