Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Getting Worse and worse

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Service Getting Worse and worse

@HJ1 wrote:

... I knew the engineer had said that he thought the hub was faulty and would write it in the notes so I thought it was worth trying a new hub....

'Thought' being the operative word.  Clearly it wasn't faulty, and to send a new router out 'Free of charge' just on the off chance doesn't hit your pocket but someone else's.

... The Plusnet one is getting on a bit. It's probably worth getting a new one every so often. I never had any customer service issues with Talktalk.

My router, a used one from eBay, is getting on a bit too, having been used by me since at least as far back as 2015, but I don't see its age as a reason to replace it as long as it continues to do the job required.  I've never had any customer service issues with PlusNet (in 19.5 years of unbroken service), but I know several people who can't say the same for TalkTalk.

Smith7
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@RobPN wrote:
My router, a used one from eBay, is getting on a bit too, having been used by me since at least as far back as 2015, but I don't see its age as a reason to replace it as long as it continues to do the job required.  I've never had any customer service issues with PlusNet (in 19.5 years of unbroken service), but I know several people who can't say the same for TalkTalk.

Totally agree with that and it would have made no difference who you were with as it was an Open Reach problem

It may be worth considering a BT Smart Hub 6 from Ebay there are quite a few cheap ones which posts on here say are better than a PN Hub 2 is that correct any suggestions what to buy 

There are many excellent posts on here how to set them up to use with PlusNet  

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Smith7 wrote:

It may be worth considering a BT Smart Hub 6 from Ebay there are quite a few cheap ones which posts on here say are better than a PN Hub 2 is that correct any suggestions what to buy 

There are many excellent posts on here how to set them up to use with PlusNet  

That seems to be the advice given on here for those who aren't satisfied with their PN supplied modem routers.

IMO 'free' is not necessarily 'best', and personally I've never had an ISP supplied device, and ISTR when I first joined PN for ADSL back in 2002 it was a case of BYO (none supplied in those days, BICBW).  I don't think there was a huge choice of modem routers to buy back then and I bought a Netgear something or other.  Around 2005/6 I bought a DrayTek for its built in VoIP capabilities and I've stuck with that brand ever since.

HJ1
Dabbler

It's great to hear how Plusnet users scour eBay and use old routers. As time moves on routers have more processing power and are suitable for more devices. Talktalk make sure that users have the latest, modern kit. My elderly relative had no need for a new router but Talktalk just sent her one to keep her up to date. Obviously if you are with Plusnet for years you would think it was normal to have to buy your own old cheap second hand router off eBay.