cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My broadband connection has been dropping and resynching more than usual recently

Sheddyian
Grafter

My broadband connection has been dropping and resynching more than usual recently

I'm on a FTTC connection, on the end of a long line. My synch speed is usually around the 39000 to 40000 mark.  For the last two years the connection has been pretty stable, but for the past month or so I've had occasional resynchs - the router light goes orange and flashes before settling back to blue again.

The last few days it's increased further, today it has happened I think 5 times.

The last but one time I was on a zoom call and the connection was very stuttery for several minutes before dropping altogether.

When the connection returned, the line speed was reported at 24000 instead of the usual 39 - 40.  I rebooted the router later, which got the line speed back, but it has lost connection again just now.

(This is all happening over wired ethernet, it's not a wifi issue).

I rarely use the land line now, but when I listened to the line just now it was quiet - no interference or crackles at that moment.

Can this be looked at please?

Thanks

Ian

4 REPLIES 4
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: My broadband connection has been dropping and resynching more than usual recently

Hi @Sheddyian,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues. I've tested your line this evening and we can see that there's definitely an issue, however we're unable to pinpoint exactly what's causing it. Our line tests are suggesting a potential phone fault, but you've mentioned that it all seemed fine when you checked on it earlier. Could you try moving the router and phone to the test socket in the property, to see if the issue persists at all? For reference, we have a guide on how to do this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Sheddyian
Grafter

Re: My broadband connection has been dropping and resynching more than usual recently

Many thanks for replying.

There's no internal telephone wiring, just this one NTE5 master socket which had the router and a corded handset plugged into it.

I've removed the faceplate and plugged the router into the test socket. I've left the telephone disconnected for now.  Before unplugging the handset, I listened for line noise, but heard none.

Thanks

Ian

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Ian, thanks for getting back to us. I can see when looking over your connection that since yesterday evening when you confirmed plugging into the test socket, we don't look to have seen any drops in the connection since a seen by the graph below:

It's still early days however as it could just be the intermittent issue hasn't been flarig up. I'd suggest then to monitor the connection in this set-up for the next 24-48 hours and should you see further drops happening then please let us know and we'll help progress this further for you.

Sheddyian
Grafter

I agree, it's been fine since plugging into the test socket. Will monitor it for a few days and see what happens.

Many thanks.