Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed limit?

PCampos
Hooked

Line speed limit?

Greetings everyone,

I wonder if someone will be able to help me. I have been with Plusnet for the past 3 years, on the below details:

Download: 38 - 40Mb
Upload: 8 - 10Mb
Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 30.9Mb

I was always getting download speeds of 34-35 Mb so I was always happy with my broadband. Now my contract is due for renewal next month and my renewal offer from Plusnet offers drastically lower speeds:

Unlimited Fibre

Broadband

If you have a call plan or inclusive call minutes this won't change.

• 26 - 29Mbestimated download speed
    8 - 10Mbestimated upload speed
£21.50°a month18 month contractIncludes line rental
Your Minimum Guaranteed Speed for this product is 23.6 M

I have been testing my speed over the last month or so and it is never more than 28Mb.
I called Plusnet and the operator advised that apparently that is the limit of my line? I never heard of this before and can't understand why there is a limit on my line all of the sudden as nothing has changed that I am aware of. During my call the operator contacted a technician who then advised that they could increase connection to 40000 but I have not notice any difference, speed is still around 27-28Mb. 
I am very disappointed with this, I was keen to renew with Plusnet but don't want to get into a new 18 month contract with significant reduced speeds.
Has anyone experienced something similar or would be able to give any piece of advice?
Many thanks,
Pedro
6 REPLIES 6
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Line speed limit?

Hiya @PCampos, thanks for getting in touch. I am really sorry to hear that you have started noticing issues with your service and for the disappointment caused. I'd really like to help get this resolved for you.

I have tested your line and can confirm that your line isn't currently banded. The line profile is currently 30mb however, you're sync speed is at 31mb and so isn't actually being limited by the profile (test results attached below). I'm really sorry that you were advised this was the cause, I will ensure to pass on feedback internally with regards to this. 

The test is actually detecting a fault in the network and so we will likely need to look at sending an engineer for you. I have created a fault ticket here for you with the next steps in getting this progressed: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=221820076 if you can please reply on the ticket with the requested information and give me a nudge on here once done, I can get this picked up and progressed for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1613
Description Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report.
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 31.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 10.0 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 338.6
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-30M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2022-01-27T12:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 29.9 Mbps 34.9 Mbps 31.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 9.9 Mbps
Up Time 851.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2022-02-09T12:15:40Z 2022-02-09T12:30:40Z
Ingress Code Violation 2 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
PCampos
Hooked

Hi Lauren,
Thank you for your quick reply to my case. I have just run the test with the router plugged onto the test socket and ethernet cable on my laptop, and the results are still 28Mb download, please see screenshot attached.
I have also replied to the fault ticket as requested. 

Thanks again for your help. 
Best regards,
Pedro

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hi Pedro,

I can see we've booked the engineer and updated the ticket 221820076 with the appointment details.

Let us know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PCampos
Hooked

Good afternoon,
Engineer visited this morning as agreed, found an issue with the cable outside and advised it needs to be replaced by Openreach. Said that it would be booked and taken care of in the upcoming weeks.

He added that as I am close to the street box, I should not have any issues with speed and may even get up to 400Mb.

Would you be able to confirm the feedback from his visit you have received at your end please?

On an additional note, and given my contract renewal date is in about 3 weeks time, I wonder if I will be able to get a revised proposal from Plusnet with the same connection speeds I used to have previously and any eventual upgrades in time before my contract runs out?
Thank you,
Pedro

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for the update there @PCampos and I'm sorry to see that you're having issues with your service. I've reviewed the fault notes and can confirm that the engineer has raised what's called an A55, which involves permission to dig / traffic management etc in order to replace some aerie cables.

In terms of your contract, I understand that you might receive proposed speeds similar to what you're getting at the moment, while the fault remains on the line. This is being caused by a system issue on our end at the moment, which has been raised, and our team are working hard to fix.

Your best bet when looking for estimated speeds at the moment would be BT's Availability Checker.

Let me know if you have any further questions at all.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds