cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency problem advice please

PNwhitcombep
Dabbler

Latency problem advice please

We noticed yesterday that our BB had become less responsive. I did the usual restarting the modem and router but no difference. I looked at a Broadband Quality monitor that I setup with Think Broadband many months ago and it shows at about 00:30 on 3rd Feb some thing has happened to my FTTC broadband service.  The average latency has always been about 10mS and at that time it shot up to 30mS where it has stayed ever since. My download speed has dropped slightly from 52MB to about 48 MB.  Any ideas what could be causing this problem?  

Thanks Phil

service - Plusnet Unlimited Fibre

5 REPLIES 5
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Latency problem advice please

Thanks a lot for getting in touch @PNwhitcombe and I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your connection. Are you able to restart the router? I've just reset the internal connection profile on our side, so speeds should be back up at 54Mbps.

Saying that, there does appear to be some issues on the line, Openreach have banded it, with the DLM profile being Downstream: 0.128M-60M with Interleaving (Low). Upstream: 0.128M-17M with InterleavingOn due to quite a few drops occurring on 02/02/2022, the line looks stable since, but the sync speed is not reaching that of the DLM profile, so I'm inclined to thing there's still a fault on the line, especially given that BT's Availability Checker states that the line can achieve between 57.5Mbps (impacted) - 80Mbps.

Going forward, please have a read through our Troubleshooting Guide to see if you're able to resolve the issue sooner. When testing, please remove the faceplate from your Master Socket, and connect your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it. Avoid using any extension cables / sockets too if possible.
Troubleshooting Guide - https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/
See how you get on for a day or two while connected through the test socket, and if things don't improve, please let us know and we'll get this raised with Openreach, and arrange an engineer visit.

Capture9.PNG

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
PNwhitcombep
Dabbler

Thanks 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to me @PNwhitcombep

I'm really sorry to see that troubleshooting has not resolved the issue here. Testing the line is showing the same banded profile, and speeds are still coming through aat around 54Mbps.

There's definitely an underlying issue here.

Going forward, I've just raised a fault ticket on the account, though we'll need you to respond to it via the Member Centre in terms of when you'd be available for an engineer visit. Give us a nudge once you've responded and we'll get it raised with Openreach.

You'll be able to both view and comment on the open ticket here.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
PNwhitcombep
Dabbler

hello adam945  Plusnet Help Team.  The Openreach gents arrived last Friday 11/2/22 at about 15:00 as arranged. They went down to the cab and DSLAM and changed the port and tweaked the settings.   When they came back to the house they mentioned that they were unable to obtain the Sync speeds at the DSLAM.  They did a test at my master socket and I agreed that the speeds had increased a bit (see spreadsheet).  This stayed the case on Sat 12/2/22.  On Sunday 13/2/22 I noticed that the speeds had fallen back to lower than before the original fault speeds. On Monday 14/2 at approx 1 AM, my QOS monitor showed a drop in the latency results but the speeds never came back up. 

Many thanks

Phil

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just been taking a look into this and tests are picking up on a line fault at the moment so it would be best for us to arrange another engineer visit. I've added a ticket to your account with more information here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=222063381 Please take a look when you can and let me know when you've responded. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team