cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei 612 Modem

alext05
Grafter

Re: Huawei 612 Modem

I have a few questions about using this modem.
I am not that interested in unlocking this modem for stats, I only want it to replace my ECI modem (I am on Huawei cabinet).
Can I use it as it is and benefit from it being G.INP compatible?
I saw one on ebay that is apparently manufactured at the end of 2013 and hasn't been used. I am guessing it would not have the latest updates from Openreach and if so, would those updates be pushed automatically to it once it's connected (overnight, for example) or not? If not, would I have to flash it myself? Thanks.
daz1107
Grafter

Thanks for all the help you've given - not had chance to look tonight as late home from work, but i'll have a crack on Saturday.
If the worse comes to the worse, i'll plug in as is; it's surely better than the ECI modem, even in an unlocked state.
Cheers everyone.....but I may be back again!!
NoZephy
Rising Star

@Alext05, If you're on a Huawei cab then sure, you'll benefit from using the HG612 or any router that uses a Broadcom chipset like the Billion 8800NL for example.
Huawei = Broadcom Chipset
ECI = Lantiq Chipset
As for G.INP, I don't think it would be activated overnight. You might have to wait a while for it to kick in or push an update to your HG612 if you have no intention of unlocking it.
Also if you have no intention of unlocking it, I have no idea how you intend to find out if your line has G.INP other than pestering the forum staff and asking them for a line check to see if you have retransmission.
If you do change your mind and unlock the HG612 then you have some software at your disposal which makes reading stats and monitoring infinitely easier.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612stats.htm
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm
alext05
Grafter

Thanks, NoZephy, this is very helpful.
I am just guessing that I have G.INP enabled on cabinet and I have lost a chunk of speed and my latency gone up like for so many people with ECI modems, completely out of the blue after many months of solid connection. I spoke to Plusnet about it when it happened and they said that everything is fine with my line as far as they are concerned.
I am guessing that even with Huawei I would not be immune from this gateway palaver that is currently affecting the network.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: robbiecollie
hi copy this link and down load the firmware also the instructions are within the firmware

Are you aka rolocollie in MWDS?
If so, it appears that you have had G.INP enabled whilst connected to an ECI DSLAM.
As far as I am aware, that would make you the first user I have seen 'out in the wild' with G.INP enabled whilst connected to an ECI DSLAM.
AndyH
Grafter

You'll find ECI users on EAKSG will already have retransmission Smiley Will be interesting if rolocollie is on a different exchange.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

I take it that is Kesgrave, Suffolk East?
Has it been mentioned previously that ECI DSLAMS are now starting to deliver G.INP?
If so, I must have missed it.

AndyH
Grafter

Yeah it is - it went live in Dec there as part of the First Office Application 2 (testing in a live environment) for ECI cabs.
There is someone else that has already posted about having retransmission on an ECI cab on another forum and I believe he/she is in Martlesham.
dragon2611
Grafter

Easier to flash it yourself, I put my unmodified on the line for a while and it never did pickup the latest firmware even though it was on there for about a week.
daz1107
Grafter

A big thanks to everyone who helped me out on here - I've now managed to unlock and install the latest firmware.....providing it's still the B030SP08 version.
Just go to change out the ECI and plug this in, then have a bash at getting some line stats.
Thanks again guys  Grin Grin Grin Grin