cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long should I wait to do a speed test after upgrade ?

FIXED
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

How long should I wait to do a speed test after upgrade ?

I have just upgraded to unlimited fibre which went live today.  According to Plusnet, my minimum speed should be between 19 and 25 Mbps.  I have just done a speedtest and can get no more than 13 Mbps which is disappointing for the extra I am paying.  Am I being unfair or should I wait a few days for it to settle down before raising a ticket, because that speed is way below what I had been led to expect ?

7 REPLIES 7
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: How long should I wait to do a speed test after upgrade ?

There is no settling period with fibre, so your speed on day one would be typical of the speed you're going to get.

if you carried out your test on WiFi, can you perform the same test on a device connected to the router with an ethernet cable. This will eliminate the possibility that it's the WiFi signal slowing you down.
shermans
Pro

All my tests have been with my desktop computer connected by cable directly to the router.  I have just tested again, and the results are 13.5 mbps download and 1.69 mbps upload - disappointing to say the least.

The only other parameter could be the router, which is a BT HomeHub 5A.  Plusnet sent me a new router which I have been advised is basically a BT HomeHub 5A re-badged as Plusnet, and therefore I have not changed it. Perhaps I ought to try after all to see if it makes any difference, but I am sceptical.  It is not very accessible but I could try it.  Is it likely to have anything to do with the speed ?

Thanks.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Apologies for the delayed response.

I can see your routers syncing at 14.1mbps which lines up with the speeds your currently seeing

I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
shermans
Pro

Dear Matthew

Thanks for your help on this.  But before I use the troubleshooter, could you clarify something for me ?

With my previous Plusnet cable broadband, I have been using a BT HomeHub 5A router.  I have been informed that the new Plusnet Hub One router is actually just a BT HomeHub 5A rebadged !  If that is correct, I see no need to change it for the Plusnet Hub One.

It is set by the way at 2.5 Ghz rather than 5 Ghz because I believe that, while speeds may be slower, the WiFi coverage is better.  As I live in two old cottages with very thick walls, WiFi coverage is always a problem.

Of course I could remove the BT HomeHub 5A and exchange it for the Plusnet Hub One if that is necessary to get the sync rate specified.  But I would prefer not to have to do that, because the router has to be located in an awkward place to get to (for maximum WiFi coverage) and there are three ethernet networks plugged into it which would need re-programming - a lot of work if not absolutely necessary - I am a firm believer in the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it !"

So I would appreciate your advise as to whether it is necessary to use the new Plusnet Hub One router instead of the existing BT HomeHub 5A.  If that is the case, then of course I will have to try it before using the troubleshooter.

Thanks for your help with this.

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Fix

You are correct, the hub one is basically a HH5 type A - so you don't need to swap routers if it's working Cheesy

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
shermans
Pro

Thnaks for the re-assurance.

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

I use the hub 5 type B, only because my hub one packed up and a friend had it kicking about.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up