Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First world problems, my speed at the low end of the range - £20p/m for 20mps

WotW
Grafter

First world problems, my speed at the low end of the range - £20p/m for 20mps

Hello,

Great wee community, thought I should reach out as this past week my speed has been bothering me on a couple of occasions. (actually, its been bothering me constantly, now that I think of it!)

I live in a lovely village in the NW of Scotland, and at the end of the road, at the end of the street, you'll find me. You'll find me reminding myself to take-deep-breaths, and that everything is okay, as I stare at the loading screen on my laptop.

'But nothing is going through the router, my son is away (his xbox is off), my mobile phone is off wifi (the 4G is faster), and it is just one tab! COME ON GMAIL!

'Ahh, but I should check the fast.com, and double-check on the btinternet.speedtest.com. Yupp, it's 21.43mps, and my range is 21 to 31mps, so I shan't complain.'

But, dear Internet Gods, this is the slowest internet I have ever had Sad  I live in a village with Fibre Optic, I think I am on Fibre Optic right now, and yet...so slow. It reminds me of my first time using the internet in 1997/8, waiting for the Beano homepage to load, excitedly.

But now, there's no excitement, I have my gmail on the lower data option! And it is still like shovelling coal with one-hand! 

I have signed up for another 18months with plusnet, as I like plusnet, and I can't see anything faster for my address. But, I am working online this year and plan to continue if possible, I wonder if I should try move house 😕

I have done the 'use the cable' test. I am consistently 21mps.   At night, around 10/11mps my speed drops to below 10mps (I have the screenshots, your honour).

Is there anything I can do?  I am happy to try anything, I will petition Openreach, if it helps.  

Advance Test
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 21.91 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 21.23 - 30.33 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 30.33 Mbps
21.91 Mbps

30.33 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 2.81 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps
25 REPLIES 25
WotW
Grafter

Re: First world problems, my speed at the low end of the range - £20p/m for 20mps

Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 25.52 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 21.23 - 30.33 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 30.33 Mbps

Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 2.83 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 20 Mbps

09.32 - 16.11.21

WotW
Grafter

Re: First world problems, my speed at the low end of the range - £20p/m for 20mps

screenshot.png

I have just checked my postcode, and Openreach tells me I should be able to get superfast fibre. I notice it says 'up to 80Mps', and I can only get 30Mps at top of my range.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@WotW You do appear to have a problem, but without further details, it is difficult to ascertain what they are.

If you post the (preferably screenshotted) details from:- BT Broadband (obscuring your phone number), BTW Performance Tester - the 'Additional Diagnostics' result, from an ethernet connection, and your 'Help Desk' tab from the Hub (obscuring personal details), then maybe other Community members can offer advice.

Hopefully, a member of the PN Help Team will pick this up at some point.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hiya, thanks for your post @WotW

I'm really sorry to see you're having speed issues.

From what I can see the current estimated speed range for your line is between 30 - 41.1mbps which you're below, and in addition, I've run advanced testing and it's showing a line problem, so there definitely seems to be a fault somewhere. 

I'd like to arrange an Openreach engineer visit with you to investigate further. Could you reply to the support ticket I've logged on your account Here with when you'll be free for a visit?

If you can post back when you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WotW
Grafter

Good morning Gandalf,

Thank you very much for this, I have responded to the ticket.

Regards

Lachlan

WotW
Grafter

Good morning John,

Many thanks for the advice.

Regards

Lachlan

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Lachlan,

Thanks for getting back to me. I can see we've booked an engineer visit for tomorrow between 8am and 1pm.

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
WotW
Grafter

Good morning Gandalf,

They have been and gone. They tested the line, got 38Mps, and tested the line into the router, and got 38Mps.

BUT, once they measured from the router, either over wifi or ethernet the strength dropped to 21Mps 🤔

Any chance I can get a replacement router, to see if it speeds up the connection - the openreach guy suggested try another router (of yours, as this one might be faulty), and if that fails to try get the BThub6 router. 

Over 30Mps is the spend my neighbours get, and the 'old boy' at openreach told the engineer this morning to expect 38Mps at my address.

I await your reply, many thanks in the meantime

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@WotW  There is a chance you have a static WAN IP address, you may not have asked Plusnet for one but in some cases they will put you on one without telling you. This means your connection uses different Plusnet network equipment and your speed can be capped by Plusnet's "Current Line Speed" which is a profile that controls your maximum throughput speed.

You can check the Current Line Speed in your member centre account under the Broadband tab, it may be nothing to do with your problem but worth having a look.

It would be worth knowing your modem sync speed which is displayed in router diagnostics (Help Desk on Hub1), not sure which modem/router you are using.

WotW
Grafter

screenshot (2).png

WotW
Grafter

Hi RealAleMadrid,

Thank you for information. Could be!  The openreach guy couldn't understand why the router would be dropping the signal so much. He asked if it was an old router...its one year old

screenshot (3).png

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@WotW  From the information you have given it looks like your sync speed is the main problem it is exactly 30Mbps which is suspicious and usually means the line is banded at that speed, the odd thing is the Openreach operative (they are not engineers in my opinion 🙄) claimed to get 38Mbps but I don't know how this was tested. 

You need to ask Plusnet for a GEA test which should show if the line is banded although the Profile info can be a bit out date, they may have other ways of finding the current active profile.

A test you could try is a single restart of the Hub1 if the sync speed is still exactly 30Mbps that would confirm the banding.

WotW
Grafter

screenshot (4).png

That is after a restart.

Hmm, I wonder. From what he said it seemed like the signal was 38Mps from the Openreach socket, then he went to the router and plugged in the dsl cable (that is usually plugged into the router) and again measured 38Mps.

But everything from the router is under 30Mps, plugged directly into the router or not

WotW
Grafter

screenshot (5).png