Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre extra not working as it should

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Re: Fibre extra not working as it should

The problem is that it's provisioned at 70 instead of the 80 which my line is capable of.

This isn't correct, there is no such option.

Why do Plusnet prevaricate like this?  Is it because they have to pay Openreach to correct the situation?

We're seeing no issues so we need to prove there is an issue to our suppliers. Thanks for running the further diagnostics, from what I can see your throughput is 65460kbps which is on target for your sync rate.

As this is below the estimates of your line we need you to plug your router into the test socket as explained Here to rule out any internal wiring that we're not responsible for. 

Once you have done this please let us know and we will retest your line.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LF
Dabbler

I mean sync rate, not provisioning concerning it being 70 rather than 80.

Your link takes me to a very old page and refers to microfilters etc.  Remember, I am on fibre.  My master socket is an Openreach Mk3 like this one https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/btvdslfaceplate/ so I don't know what you expect me to do.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We've no control over the rate your router syncs at.

While that page may be old, most of it is still relevant.

If you have a prefiltered faceplate then trying the test socket behind it will rule out the faceplate and the wiring behind the faceplate being the cause of the fault.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LF
Dabbler

And should I use a microfilter to connect the incompatible with each other plug and socket?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Aye, you'll need to use a microfilter to connect the router to the test socket.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LF
Dabbler

BT speed test done with faceplate off and diagnostics sent.  Virtually the same as before - down 65.93 vs 65.46 up 16.73 vs 17.14 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks. I've reported a fault to our suppliers.

In the meantime, do you have another router to try to rule out the one you're using to be the cause of the problem?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
David661
Grafter

"whilst the Plusnet profile is pretty irrelevant on dynamic IP addresses it does control the static ones. Some Plusnet agents are not aware of this distinction."

Sorry to ask but can someone expand on what is meant by profile on dynamic vs static Ip please

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to ask but can someone expand on what is meant by profile on dynamic vs static Ip please

The connection profile on an account should match the IP profile of a line.

If account profile is set too low then it shouldn't really matter due to the way connections are routed across our network. The exception to this is if you have a static IP due to the way we assign static IPs you're routed across different equipment.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
David661
Grafter

Hi

Thanks for your fast reply, on a business line is there any disadvantage to speed or anything else if static ip is used over dynamic

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Nope, apart from the fact that a static IP is free of charge on business as opposed to a one off fee of £5.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
David661
Grafter

Hi

Now I do not know if it is 'cos I am a new customer (my business line does not come over to Plusnet until 10/8  ). But so far the answers to my questions both here in this forum and on a support ticket really have been like a breath of fresh air when compared with the help I got at my current ISP. So well done !!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for your kind words David.

I've checked your order and they're still progressing to complete on the 10th August with no reported delays to us.

Fingers crossed all goes smoothly on Friday.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet