cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Delivery Date

andp256
Fixes: 1

Fibre Delivery Date

The exchange area where I live has been enabled for fibre a little while now and I think it was probably in the earlier part of 2015 that I first started to check for availability to my own home. It was saying that the area was enabled but not accepting orders in my particular case. I eventually found my way to page on the BT Wholesale web site that said that the availability date was 30-Jun-15. Since then the date has slipped by 6 months every 6 months and now stands at 31-Dec-16. The reason given is "Sorry it's taking us longer than planned to get your cabinet ready for service. Please bear with us."

Having worked in the technology industry myself, I full appreciate that things can be genuinely delayed due to technical or logistical issues. I even worked for one of BT's suppliers and I'm sure that they would not have tolerated having a delivery date slipping to this degree! Should the fact that I am an individual and a supposed "nobody" mean that I can be kept indefinitely in the dark like this? Surely it is we as end consumers that ultimately provide the business to large companies!

PlusNet have suggested that I contact their customer service, which I will certainly do, but thought I would write here first just to see if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if so whether they were able to do anything about it.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

1 REPLY 1
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Fibre Delivery Date

Hi @andp256

Welcome to the forums.

The answer is to find out who in your local government is responsible for the fast broadband rollout in your area under the Government's Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) National Policy https://www.gov.uk/guidance/broadband-delivery-uk

The UK is split into Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and then English counties. So google "BDUK" and your country or county name (if in England) to find out who to contact for your area. And start pressuring them. Also involve your local councillors, MP and neighbours. In some areas, people have formed pressure groups and use that approach to influence local policy.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT