Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FaceTime video, Teams and WhatsApp video stuttering

snaqvy
Grafter

FaceTime video, Teams and WhatsApp video stuttering

Hi folks,

I have recently swapped back to the plusnet one hub after trying a different modem. I’m using a mesh WiFi system at home as the plus net router WiFi was giving issues even after trying the beta firmware. This issue is still there with mesh WiFi or with direct Ethernet connection to the router.

I’m not getting the expected speeds in the portal and wonder if our line needs to be reset for the speed to be what it should?

Plusnet username is snaqvy

attached are the stats from the router and the expected speed from the portal

using speedtest.net does not go above ~39mbps 

any advice appreciated 

41 REPLIES 41
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: FaceTime video, Teams and WhatsApp video stuttering

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Thanks for your post @snaqvy

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your connection.

From what I can see your download speed is artificially restricted to 49mbps by automated software at the cabinet (the green box in the road) which I could remotely reset but even at this speed you shouldn't have the problems you've described, so I recommend we arrange an Openreach engineer visit to investigate further. 

Can you reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here with when you'll be free for a visit?

If you can post back when you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
snaqvy
Grafter

@Gandalf 

Thanks for the help with this so far, have responded on that ticket.

with FaceTime, WhatsApp and Teams. We have noticed that ping is high/random (sometimes 600+) if one device is downloading and another is on a call at the same time.

This happens on wifi and ethernet, obviously worse on wifi- even with the mesh network.

The issue is there regardless of rebooting the modem, mesh wifi or any of the devices.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for your response, and on the open Ticket too. I can see that one of my colleagues has beaten us to it, and has raised a fault, with an Openreach engineer due to be coming out tomorrow afternoon between 1pm and 6pm.

Please give us a shout if you have any further questions in the meantime. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
snaqvy
Grafter

@adam945 

Thanks for the quick response I really appriciate the fast turnarround and the support.

The engineer has visited and could not find any specific fault but, ran lots of tests, changed the faceplate and reset the line.

Initially it was working at 64Mbps but it has already dropped down to 58Mbps. As advised by the engineer, I will keep an eye on it to see if goes back down to 49/35 again.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Cool, thanks a lot for letting us know. Please reach out if you continue to have any issues. Smiley

Adam
snaqvy
Grafter

unfortunately since the engineer visit yesterday the broadband has become more and more unstable. I had a work meeting today and had to use my phone data/tethering to get on the call. Still using tethering now.

Today it will not connect for more than a minute or two before disconnecting again. I have tried to reset and reboot the router with no luck.

see the attached WAN log from the router.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @snaqvy

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to see how intermittent your connection has been today. I've just rejected the "clear notification" on our suppliers end, which sends the fault back to them for further investigation. Our faults team will be in touch shortly with a further update. You can both view and comment on the open fault ticket for direct communication with our faults team here.

Adam
snaqvy
Grafter

@adam945 thank you, I've updated the ticket with my avaliablity for another engineer visit.

The internet is still very unstable. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.

snaqvy
Grafter

also just to add I have the following error in the log:

18:29:58, 17 Nov.	(19438.930000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
18:29:51, 17 Nov.	(19432.030000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
18:29:51, 17 Nov.	(19432.020000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '1 BOOT,4 VALUE CHANGE'

seems to be there quite a lot

snaqvy
Grafter

Hi just FYI

The modem again went haywire and would it remain connected for more than a minute.

I connected a third party modem today at about 19:45 and it seems to be working ok.

Please advise It seems like the plus net provided one hub modem maybe faulty?
snaqvy
Grafter

By the way it seems like the ticket suggests a two day wait for an engineer booked in.

Could you confirm if that’s the case?
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @snaqvy

The two working days referred to on the tickets were for a non appointed task to be carried out on our suppliers side, this hasn't worked though, as tests continue to fail. Going forward, I've had a look at the list of available times you've mentioned, and have booked the earliest appointment possible. I've updated the open Ticket, but feel free to get back to me on here if you have any further questions.

Adam
snaqvy
Grafter

@adam945 

thanks for the reply and booking another engineer.

Do you think the modem could be the cause of the issues we had yesterday? the old modem/router again was disconnecting rapidly, the third party modem/router is much more stable, only disconnecting every few hours. the other router is quite an old one supplied to a friend of mine for SSE fibre broadband in ~2018.

might it be worth swapping the plusnet one hub for another plusnet supplied router, to rule that out?