Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping connections and noisy line

FIXED
TheFlames1980
Dabbler

Dropping connections and noisy line

For the last few years I have had no issues with my Plus.net connection but in the last month I have started to get issues.

I discovered at random time that I'm getting a lot of noise on the line, but this is intermittent. Around a month ago I reported the line, but when the openreach engineer visited it was behaving correctly so there was no noise present, they closed the ticket as "fault fixed" as they could no find a cause .  but since then every 2 to 56 hours my connection has dropped.

Any advice of what could be done to investigate any further as the noise on the line I'm sure is the cause of the drop outs, but as it's intermittent I'm sure if BT Openerach re-investigates  again, they will get it while the line not having the noise again. 

7 REPLIES 7
TheFlames1980
Dabbler

Re: Dropping connections and noisy line

I don't knot if this if any use , but Im using a Tp-link router and it's connection status page shows the following at the moment (the line is being noisy at the moment) 

Upstream Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps) 20000 37602
Max Rate (Kbps) 21411 62051
SNR Margin (dB) 6.8 14
Line Attenuation (dB) 25.3 12
Errors (Pkts) 0 0
TheFlames1980
Dabbler

oops I posted this under ADSL , not under the Fibre broadband ... 😐 should I re-post there Cheesy 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Fix

Hi @TheFlames1980,

Thank you for getting in touch. I'm sorry that your landline is noisy and that your broadband connection is dropping.

Testing your line has picked up an external fault so I've raised this to our suppliers for further investigation. Their estimated response time is by midnight on the 4th of April. With it being an external fault, this is only an estimate and they may be able to resolve it sooner than this. Our faults team will be in touch once we've received the update from our suppliers.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
TheFlames1980
Dabbler

BT Openreach has fixed the issue I was experiencing withe the line noise and disconnects, it was caused by a damaged underground phone cable. 

Unfortunately my connection speed has dropped from the 50 - 70 mb down to 10 - 12 mb down. Could of this be caused by the line dropping and the system trying to make the connection stable by dropping the connection speed? 

Will the connection speed back up again on it's own , or does the line need to be set to be re-trained again? 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @TheFlames1980,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm glad to hear that the landline fault has been resolved.

I've tested your line and it's currently syncing at 61mbps but your connection profile dropped to 13.7mbps whilst the fault was ongoing and hasn't automatically increased. As you have a static IP, this is restricting your throughput speed.

I've adjusted this now - if you reboot your router your speed should be back to normal right away.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
TheFlames1980
Dabbler

that worked thank you Smiley