cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Issues - Possibly Resolved?

elvenheart

DNS Issues - Possibly Resolved?

I have been having on and off connection problems for a very long time. I have been using my own router with Plusnet's broadband using Googles DNS. I have now gone back to Plusnet's 1 Hub.

This has helped somewhat but the main issue was that images on some social media sites did not load properly on some of our family's mobile phones and the Samsung TV's BBC iplayer intermittently stopped streaming and made this very frustrating and has been like this for years. More importantly my wife's laptop never worked perfectly when using Videoconferencing apps and visiting some web sites. We purchased a new laptop (it's faster) but same problems.

I have always used googles DNS Servers and yesterday I  looked into the 'DNS' aspect and changed from Google's and Plusnet's DNS to one of BT's (which is at this time offering the fastest speed in my location).
As one cannot change the default DNS settings in plusnet's Hub, I have had to overide and set these manually within each of the troublesome devices such as the "TV".

It's early days, but last night was the first time I streamed an hour programme on iplayer without disconnections and trying to restart a non responsive iplayer. Keeping fingers crossed the new DNS settings have fixed the issue.

Also a 30 minute gaming session on the Playstation also had no in-game server lagging issues the first time in months.

So if you are having similar issues with websites, images loading slowly or not at all, it's likely that it's your DNS settings.

Hope this helps someone.

Tags (1)