cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connections dropping over Wifi and ethernet

omatthews

Connections dropping over Wifi and ethernet

Hello,

I seem to be having a whole lot of issues with my broadband service with Hub One router.

Firstly I had an issue with 5GHz wifi which seemed widely reported elsewhere - as long as 2 years ago - and was resolved by disabling it.   Seems somewhat incrediable that this continues to be an issue.

However there is a second issue with unreliable connections that drop out.    This has happenned fairly frequently - we could be browsing and then a page fails to load and a problem with connection is reported.    Today I was working from home and my work laptop connected via ethernet directly to router had VPN dropped many times causing me to drop out of VOIP calls.   I also used my home laptop over WiFi and that also had an issue where in the middle of browsing the connection suddenly was lost.  Windows network diagnostic fixed it saying the default gateway wasn't available.

Speedtest earlier was also pretty unspectactular (<20Mbps download)

Personally I can't see anything obvious in router event logs but I'm not an expert.

Is this a common problem?  

3 REPLIES 3
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Connections dropping over Wifi and ethernet

Hi @omatthews and welcome to the Community Forums.
I'm sorry to hear you've been having intermittent drop outs with your connection as of recent. Having checked over your connection from this side we can't see any underlying issues which would explain the problems you're seeing.
Can I ask then, so we can try and narrow the issue down further, has the problem occurred on any wired devices that weren't using a VPN? The issue you've described with your laptop over WiFi sounds like your device lost connection to the rotuer which can be caused by wireless interference. To perhaps highlight the problem as being wireless interference I'd suggest trying your home laptop on a wired connection and seeing if the problem continues.
Wireless interference can be a fairly common issue however there are steps we advise which can help but I'd like to make sure it's for sure interference on this connection method before we advise you on changing things.
Let us know how it goes.

omatthews

Hello Ben.

Woud connecting over powerline be equivalent for this purposes?    It is not conveninent to use the laptop in same room as router.    I don't have any other wired devices.    Note - would the router logs from yesterday provide any useful info? 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @omatthews,

Using powerline adapters for testing purposes can be helpful and could be a solution to the problem, however it's important to remember that we're essentially adding another variable to the setup which increases the chances of issues occurring. This is just a chance at this stage however, so I would recommend setting up via the powerline adapters to see if the same problem occurs. If you could provide "before and after" router logs it could prove useful for narrowing down what exactly the issue is.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team