Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection keeps dropping

Nezzac
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Connection keeps dropping

Hi

My connection keeps dropping at about the same time every night. At about 10.55 to 11.00 PM my router flashes yellow for a few minutes then turns blue.

I have recently been switching my router off at the mains when not in use to save power. Could that be the reason?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Connection keeps dropping

Hi @Nezzac, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're seeing drops in your connection recently. When testing your connection from this side currently I can see there looks to be an underlying issue showing however the testing our side isn't clear whether the issue is being caused by something internal or external to the property. In which case then, I'd recommend going through the below checks to see if the drops look to persist there after.

Just a heads up also, that the router, our suppliers network and ours are all designed with the intention of the router connection remaining solid and turning the router off daily or from time to time over long periods can adjust things like line settings and actually cause stability or performance issues. Keeping in mind that as routers use very little power it's usually under the £10 mark for the router to be on for a full year.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Feel free to give us a nudge when in this set-up as we can re-test your connection from this side looking for change and improvements.

Nezzac
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Hi BD

Thanks for replying. I'm still having the same issue. Every night at about 10.50 the router lights change to orange and then blue and orange and blue for about 10 minutes. It hasn't been touched at all and I'm getting frustrated.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @Nezzac

Thanks a lot for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems with your connection. Tests on the line are now finding a fault with the service - though the source of the issue is said to be within the customer premise.

It's not clear as to whether you've done the Troubleshooting that my colleague sent through.

Going forward, please have a read through our Troubleshooting Guide to see if you're able to resolve the issue sooner. When testing, please remove the faceplate frssom your Master Socket, and connect your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it. Avoid using any extension cables / sockets too if possible.
Troubleshooting Guide - https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/
See how you get on, and if the problem persists, head across to faults.plus.net and raise this issue with our Technical Support Team. In the Additional Information section, pop in some dates and times that you'd be available for an engineer visit, our Technical Support Team will then be in touch, though feel free to reach out when you've done it and I'll be happy to get the fault raised with our suppliers.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1613
Description Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report.
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 20.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 13.5 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 409.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From21:15to21:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On
Time Stamp 2021-10-12T08:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 13.3 Mbps 56.9 Mbps 45.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 0.6 Mbps 19.1 Mbps 12.8 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 681.5 Sec
Retrains 0.0 7.0 0.0
Radius
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds