cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Speed Query

bigdog1965

Connection Speed Query

Good Afternoon,

My download speed seems to have dropped a fair bit in the last few months and upon logging into my Plusnet account I noticed that my Estimated Download Range: 32 - 36Mbps is quite a bit lower than it used to be and to what BT suggests it should be.  (BT Speedtest and Broadband Checker attached)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Connection Speed Query

@bigdog1965 First question - are you paying for Unlimited Fibre or Unlimited Fibre Extra? Apart from not reporting any upload at all - which I suspect is a BTW speed test error, that report shows a D/L speed of 34.99Mb/s which although possibly a bit low for the profile is still good.

John
bigdog1965

I have Unlimited Fibre Extra.  I only query as the estimated range in my Plusnet Account until recently was higher and I was given an estimated speed of 65Mbps to 80Mbps when I signed up for the contract in September. 

Thanks

jab1
Legend

OK, in that case I suspect there is a problem, most likely in the BT/OR network. The 'guide' below may not all apply to you, but follow it anyway, and then Community members (and PN Help Team staff) can advise.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (ethernet) connection. Please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the HELP DESK tab from your Hub would be a start.

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If phone test is OK then take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug a filter in here and connect that to your hub. If it’s still dropping out then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@bigdog1965 

It looks like your download has been banded. Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will come along and check. The 20Mbps upload confirms that you are on the fibre extra service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 Missed the upload figure. Embarrassed

Might still help if the OP follows my suggestion above, though.

John
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Hiya @bigdog1965,

Thanks for getting in touch and bring this to my attention. I have run a test and the line is indeed banded, so I have sent off to have this removed and you should see an improvement in 72 hours.

I have also asked our faults team to check the speed at that time and to update you here.

Feel free to drop us a message if you would like us to update you at that time or if you need any further help.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
bigdog1965

Hi @SammyM ,

Has there been any update on this?  I haven't seen any improvements on my end yet and there has been no further posts from your faults team on the link you provided.

Many Thanks

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @bigdog1965, thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry you haven't yet had an update!

The unband request was sent off on Friday and can take up to 72 working hours so we'll need to check back tomorrow to see how things are and take it from there for you. 

Feel free to give us a nudge on here tomorrow and we will take a further look for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
bigdog1965

Hi @LaurenB,

Whoops!  Sorry about that, forgot about the weekend!

Unfortunately, there still doesn't seem to have been any change on my end.

Many Thanks

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @bigdog1965, thanks for getting back to me. I'm really sorry that there's been no improvement.

I have now updated your fault ticket with the next steps for you. If you add a reply just give me a nudge on here and I can get that picked up for you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team