Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not working at regular times daily

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

Re: Broadband not working at regular times daily

No problem, @Ripplyuk - if a fellow Community member asks for help and replies constructively and clearly - as you have done - it is a pleasure to help. Even though I am no longer with Plusnet. 😉

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Good morning @Ripplyuk

Thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm really sorry to hear that you're having issues with your broadband service. A bit of a mixed bag this one, the visual radius - which I'll pop below, shows no problems with the connection, with just one drop out in the last 13 days. However other tests called a KBD and RRT are showing line issues.

I've made a few changes to the settings on your router which will likely improve your wireless service ad this might be contributing to your problems,

I’ve run a little tool on our end called Smart Wireless, this scans your local area and adjusts your router’s WIFI channels to those best suited for your environment. I’ve also split the SSID’s on your router, giving you the choice of whether to connect to the 2.4GHz or 5GHz wireless band.

The general rule is thumb when deciding which band to connect to:

2.4GHz – Slower WIFI speeds, but covers a greater range
5GHz – Faster WIFI speeds, but covers a smaller range.

So for instance, if your TV is in the same room as the router, I’d connect it to the 5GHz band, giving it faster speeds for streaming etc.

Information of splitting, or turning off the 5GHz band can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1696363

Going forward, if the above does not help, please have a read through our Troubleshooting Guide to see if you're able to resolve the issue sooner. When testing, please remove the faceplate frssom your Master Socket, and connect your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it. Avoid using any extension cables / sockets too if possible.

Troubleshooting Guide - https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/

See how you get on, and if the problem persists, head across to faults.plus.net and raise this issue with our Technical Support Team. In the Additional Information section, pop in some dates and times that you'd be available for an engineer visit, our Technical Support Team will then be in touch, though feel free to reach out when you've done it and I'll be happy to get the fault raised with our suppliers.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 35.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 12.3 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 649.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-35M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-09-27T09:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 34.9 Mbps 34.9 Mbps 34.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 12.2 Mbps 12.3 Mbps 12.3 Mbps
Up Time 3.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 895.5 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jab1
Legend

@adam945 Thanks for that detail, but I think you may have missed what the OP is saying - the connection is dropping out fairly regularly - especially prior to your Radius graph, and there is RFI (hard to remedy) and crosstalk (full cab?). The profile data also suggests there may be network problems?

With respect, it is not their local environment, other than possibly the RFI, which is at fault, more the line downstream of them.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks @jab1

I do agree, which is why I've also sent across the steps to take in order to get a fault raised with our Technical Support Team. Changing the settings on their router is just something that can be done to improve the service in te meantime. I'll be more than happy to get a fault raised with Openreach once the Troubleshooter on faults.plus.net has been completed.

Adam
jab1
Legend

OK Adam - just thought there was enough detail already in the topic to warrant raising a fault without wasting the OP's time - but if that's the way it works these days...

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jab1 @adam945    I'm not sure there is a line fault, the radius test shows one drop since the 25th of September, it just looks like a line banded at 35Mbps to me, for what reason it is hard to say.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks @RealAleMadrid 

I would have sent a banding reset request off, but the RRT did show line issues over the last few days so I'm leaning towards an issue with the network that ought to be raised.

Adam
jab1
Legend

I'm not so sure there isn't a network fault - looking at the logs provided by the OP earlier in the thread, which I suspect have given rise to the banding, which is why I am querying the need for the OP to run tests which, unless they are very lucky (or unlucky) depending on your viewpoint), will return a 'no errors found - just put up with a sub-standard service' response from the automated bot.

John
Ripplyuk
Grafter

@adam945  I don’t know why it’s only showing one drop-out. This happens every day. Often several times a day. My router is in the same room as the tv, iPad etc and it’s a very small room. Do I still need to change the wireless band? I’m useless with technical things so I don’t want to change things unless I have to, in case I make things worse. Also, do you want me to connect to the test socket permanently? This fault is intermittent and I can’t tell exactly when it’s going to drop out again. 

jab1
Legend

@Ripplyuk As I understand things, @adam945 has carried out the changes he mentions remotely. I would leave everything alone, as your issue has nothing to do with wireless bands - the issue, whether Plusnet are prepared to admit it or not, is within the BT/OR infrastructure, and hence outside your control.

If it is possible, leave the connection in the test socket until they admit the error is outside your premises. Just out of curiosity, is your telephone socket one with a separate filter or is it a more modern one with individual sockets for phone and router?

John
Ripplyuk
Grafter

It’s the more modern one with separate sockets for the phone and router. 

I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to try the test socket. I’m not strong enough to move the furniture so I’ll need to get someone to help. 

jab1
Legend

OK. When you get the furniture moved, before you actually take the front cover off the socket, just check it is not wobbly - the clip on variety of covers does have a disturbing habit of not fastening properly if the back box is too tightly screwed to an uneven surface - although this has nothing to do with your current issue, it could be used to try and wriggle out of an issue by BT/OR.

Sorry to ask again, but could you post your current WAN logs?

Just a thought - you do have a spare dangly filter - you will need one to use the test socket?

John
Ripplyuk
Grafter

No, I don’t have a dangly filter 😕. I didn’t realise I would need one. Will I have to buy one? 

The WAN log is still showing the same stuff as yesterday. I can’t find anything more up to date. 
580C6FF6-ED85-4F3A-BD6E-50FBFA74E43F.png

jab1
Legend

Yep - you will need a dangly filter before you can plug into the test socket. Did PN not supply one with the router.? Don't worry about the logs not being any more current - the ones above prove there is is an issue.

John
Ripplyuk
Grafter

I don’t think a filter came with this router. I remember on the phone they said I wouldn’t need a filter anymore. Where can I get one? I had one years ago with the old router and modem. I wish I had kept it now.