Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband not working at regular times daily

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 83

Re: Broadband not working at regular times daily

Assuming those logs views are contiguous and the lastest you last had a DSL drop on the 24th Jan.

DSL uptime is shown as 12 days on your recent help desk.

There can be issues if you use a wireless connection for the BT speed test. I suggest trying a different browser.

Dan.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 260

@Dan_the_Van Whilst I respect and value your insight on these things, from my personal experience, the connection shouldn't drop as often as shown in the OPs screenshots (I had 214 days uninterrupted connection prior to my move from ADSL to VDSL and new ISP, and currently 90 on my current connection), and Wireless speed tests for my own info which reported as I expected.

IMHO, the OP has a problem.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@jab1 

The facts are the line has been up for 12 days.

Between the period 17 Dec to 24 Jan there have been five down/up DSL events shown, 17 Dec, 26 Dec, 30 Dec, 17 Jan and 24 Jan. All these events were recorded between 00:30 and 02:30. The time period would suggest DLM or maintance activity.

The figures themself do not usggest there is not a fault, but the frequency is not high enough to warrent investigation. I did note the OP mentions wind noise on the phone line, this could be clue to a issue.

With the OP only having wireless devices it is not easy to run any tests like think broadbands BMQ (broadband quality monitor) or routerstats HH5a

Regards of our views if the OP is not happy with his service a fault should be raised at https://faults.plus.net

Dan.

jab1
Legend

@Dan_the_Van You and me are 'friends' on here, but obviously our views on the definition of 'good connections' diverge somewhat. I'm very sorry, but xDSL drops of this frequency, admittedly not reaching the BTOR definition of defective circuitry, strongly suggest there is something wrong somewhere.

IMHO, the OP has provided enough evidence for investigation - see my comments above re: my own connection.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Thanks for getting back to us @Ripplyuk

I'm really sorry to see you're having connection issues.

I'm tending to agree with @Dan_the_Van here in that your broadband connection hasn't dropped since 24th January, so drops following this would likely be to do with the Wi-Fi signal between your router and devices. 

While your router's logs shows drops in December, these would largely be irrelevant, due to how long ago they were. The drops on 14th January & 24th January were overnight, so could very well be down to network maintenance.

I've tested your line tonight and the tests aren't showing any causes for the disconnections you're experiencing, and while the noise on your phone line may be part of the issue, it may also be a red herring and not impacting your broadband. Is your phone handset cordless or corded? Do you have another handset you can try? 

Also, I've split the two wireless frequencies 2.4GHz & 5GHz into separate network names you can manually choose from when connecting your devices to the Wi-Fi network, rather than let the router automatically decide which one to use.

If you're still having issues, could you go into Wi-Fi settings from your iPhone & iPad and try connecting onto the network of the same name as you normally do but which ends in 5GHz, using the same wireless password? 

Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ripplyuk
Grafter

Something isn’t right if it’s saying the connection has been fine since 24th Jan. I don’t understand that. It was dropping out on Saturday when I updated this thread. More than once. The same thing happened the night before. It doesn’t always quit completely but it goes so slow that when trying to load a webpage, it times out after a couple of minutes.

I’m in the same (small!) room as the router and my iPad is about a meter from it so I couldn’t really get any closer. 

The landline handset is corded. I don’t have any other ones to try. 

I’ll try the different wireless frequency and see if that helps. 

Ripplyuk
Grafter

@jab1 Would changing to a different network fix this problem? There’s a new company here called Fibrus and they’ve been putting new poles in all over the area. There’s one right outside my house. Would that fix this since the wires are all brand new? Or would it not make any difference? 

jab1
Legend

@Ripplyuk I really can't answer that, to be honest. Something is not right somewhere, but the more I look at this topic, the more confused I get.

I know it is a pain, but can you post your Help Desk, LAN & WAN logs as they currently are, please? Others may dismiss them, but I find them informative.

EDIT:: Are both your iPad and mobile both fairly new, do they both support 5Ghz operation? If so, I would connect to the 5Ghz frequency and see if that sorts the problem (as suggested by @Gandalf )

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@jab1 

unless the hub one has restarted over the last two days the WAN logs is not going to show anything new, like wise the help desk page, maybe some fluctuations of noise margin might be noted.

I would suggest looking at the WiFi category in the event logs. ath00 = 2.4Ghz  ath10 = 5Ghz

@Ripplyuk 

when you say you get disconnected, is the light on the Hub One changing colour?

Fibrus will be a fibre to property, which will give you faster speeds, but as you are wireless only so you will still be dependant on the router wireless performance.

Dan.

jab1
Legend

OK @Dan_the_Van Noted, hopefully @Ripplyuk will as well.

John
Ripplyuk
Grafter

@Dan_the_Van No, the light on the hub usually stays blue. It’s just so slow that nothing works. I can’t even load a basic webpage. A few times this has happened gradually and I’ve been able to do a speed test showing around 2mb but then it gets worse and I can’t load the page to do a speed test at all. It usually fixes itself within 20 mins or so, but then happens again soon after (often repeatedly). Apps won’t work and I get notifications like ‘Check your internet connection’ or ‘You are not connected to the internet’. 

A couple of times the light has went orange but sorted itself out eventually. 

I’ve swapped to the 5Ghz so I’ll see if that helps but the problem doesn’t happen every day so it might take a while. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @Ripplyuk

Let us know how the 5GHz wireless goes. Do you also have the same issues on your iPhone when the internet on your iPad stops working? Does the light on the router change colour when this happens or is that a separate issue?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Ripplyuk
Grafter

@Gandalf Yes, I have the same issue on the iPhone too. And on the tv with Netflix etc. And with friend’s tablets when they are visiting. Everything stops working. At least on my phone I can switch to using mobile data if I get desperate but the reception isn’t great here. 

The light on the router normally stays blue when this happens. Previously, it stayed blue until it got really bad, like not working for most of the day, and then the light went orange and I rang up to report it. I don’t know if that’s a separate issue. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks again for getting back to me @Ripplyuk

Let's see how it goes on the 5GHz wireless and if you're still having issues, it may be worth us arranging another engineer visit to take a closer look.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet