cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband dropping out multiple times a day

barmory

Broadband dropping out multiple times a day

Can you please perform a check on my line. We are having frequent drops in connection to the Internet
12 REPLIES 12
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Broadband dropping out multiple times a day

Hi @barmory, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've been having connection issues as of recent. Checking your connection from this side I can see the drops you've been having as seen by the graph below which certainly hints something is out of place somewhere.

I can see after testing the connection we look to be detecting hints of a line fault being present. whether this is external or internal to the property however isn't clear so the first thing I'd recommend that rules a number of internal factors out there that could be behind this is running through a few internal checks your side.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Should the drops look to persist then please raise a fault her: faults.plus.net and drop us a message on here after doing so and we'll happily get this picked up and progressed further for you. (If asked questions regarding your phone service and you don't use it then answer as though everything is fine.)

barmory

Thanks for the reply. I've now tried various things to rule out possible issues.

1. Replaced the microfilter
  2. plugged directly into the test socket
  3. swapped the cable between the microfilter and the router

I am still having issues, I have performed a speed test this morning and the download speed isn't much over 2mb/s. As suggested I have now raised an issue with faults.plus.net

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Thanks for getting back to us @barmory. I can see when looking over your connection recently it looks like the intemittent drops have come to a stop as seen on the graph below:

Can I ask if your router has been plugged into the test socket over the last few days?

When running further tests on your connection this side I can see we're currently seeing 76.3Mbps download and 20Mbps upload reaching your router with no signs of errors or underlying faults. The speed issues you've started to see then, are they occuring solely on wireless devices or on wired connections also?
Finally, when running speed tests to see how the connection is doing I'd suggest making sure nothing is using the connection at the time as this can skew results seen and cause potential red herrings. I can see there's been a fair bit of usage the last 3 days (certainly more than you'd be able to do with 2Mbps download) which makes me think it could be the skewed speed tests results that could be throwing you off.

If then you could let us know how a wired speed test looks whilst there's no other devices or applications using the connection.

I look forwards to hearing from you further.

barmory

Thanks for the fast reply (again).
Yes the router is still connected to the master socket.
Since my speed test this morning, I have again fitted a new microfilter and reset the router and WiFi extender. That appears to have resolved the issue of very slow download speeds we were seeing this morning.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @barmory

I'm glad to see things seem to be better now.

Let us know if you have any further issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Steelseries

Hi Gandalf

My internet has been dropping out daily almost everyday since i started back in April i've had multiple calls and 3 or bt visits and still continues to happen i need a resolution asap as i work from home regularly and it's an emergency service i work for 

Kind regards 

Steelseries

Tags (1)
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Steelseries It is a good idea to start your own topic - piggy-backing' on another users is not good practice, and makes it hard for those trying to help.

What exactly is you problem?

John
Steelseries

My Internet drops out 5 to 15 times a day it used to only be the evenings but now is during the day also. I had a call with a tech last week who has changed settings to make it more stable but it has gotten worse and most of the time it happens on the hour every hour. The BT engineers that came out said it looks like 2 properties are connected to the same port in the cabinet and that could be the issue. They also cannot change the port as the cabinet in my village has over 50% of the ports broken its so bad my neighbour still has dial up connection. I just need a resolution 

Thanks for answering 

jab1
Legend

OK. In short, BT/OR need to repair the ports in the cab, which they will hopefully do - in their own sweet time, nothing an ISP can do about that, I'm afraid.

I don't quite understand how two users can be on the 'same port' without both of them having massive problems - my limited telecoms knowledge tells me that is not possible.

John
Steelseries

BT have said that they won't be repairing them. I was told last time they came out the i could leave plusnet without paying the contract exit if it didn't get better was better for a couple months only dropping in the night but has gotten worse but plusnet sdays there is no such note on my account for this but i need stable internet today not when BT can fix the cabinet is there anything i can do about this?

jab1
Legend

That BT statement seems strange - who said it? If you leave PN for another ISP, nothing will change - you will still be connected to the same cab, with the same problem, except you will probably find that this other ISP will only be able to offer you ADSL, as all the Fibre ports will show as being in use.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @Steelseries and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm really sorry to see you're having a lot of issues with your connection even after multiple engineer visits, and I'm sorry to see you've decided to leave us. I've tested your line tonight and I can definitely see something's wrong. 

If you're happy to provide us with another opportunity to fix and stay with us, I'd like to arrange another engineer visit and escalate this to our suppliers to try to get things sorted for you once and for all. 

Let me know if you'd like me to and I'll raise a ticket on your account to get the ball rolling. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet