cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need new host quick, current one had doubled price!

amcclean
Rising Star

need new host quick, current one had doubled price!

For the last number of years I have been hosting 5 sites with Strato at 7.99 per month I have just been on their website and discovered the price has risen to £15 not far off double the price.
I need a host that can host at least 6 msqls db and domains for a reasonable cost.
No way i can afford these new mega expensive costs can anyone help with a reliable and safe solution.
Cheers,
podman
8 REPLIES 8
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: need new host quick, current one had doubled price!

Home Pro
This will probably do what you require? Smiley - UK Based (Nottingham) ive got a few domains with them and they've always been on the button Smiley
Just stay away from 1&1. and you should be alright,
Regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

How about http://www.tsohost.co.uk/ they have a very good reputation and seem to offer all the bells and whistles you might want for £49.99 per year
amcclean
Rising Star

many thanks i'll look into them both.
any comments on fasthosts?
matt_2k34
Grafter

A quick google search
Would seem to suggest avoiding fasthosts...
But as with all companies like this (service based) - it depends who you deal with - with what response you get...
Also worth remembering that people only moan, they never go out of their way to praise an individual/company - and not that many are complaints from the last 12 months...
Just AVOID 1&1, my dad started a web-store business with them, completely incompetent, slapped on charges at random, took hostage of his domains + webspace, (locking us out, preventing us even from getting the stuff on it), alongside (Now) Santander, formerly Abbey's incompetent business staff, im pretty sure between them they're the reason the company flopped  Sad
Regards
matt_2k34
Grafter

.. because the sites being annoying, i cant edit the above.. so ill add...

OVH pricing is pretty competitive, know at least a PN member of Staff uses them for a dedi and doesnt shut up about it  Wink
If you dont mind the odd bit of latency, why not try a European or US host? i mean, i dont know how "heavy" the site in question is - ive used freehostia (us based) free pages, *and* paid - and their paid service was always very good. (Strong £ vs $ and Euro makes their packages more attractive) - im sure makes them very cheap against UK counter parts.
I cant remember the company off the top of my head, but there was (i think belgian) company (rivalling OVH's services) sporting *lots* of bandwidth connectivity worldwide, but the name escapes me Sad
Regards
scfnet
Dabbler

I'll second www.tsohost.co.uk, I have two domains with them and the support is fantastic.
It always amazes me when I get an answer with about 5 minutes on a Sunday night and usually from the same person - I think they are surgically attached to the keyboard.
Alastair
Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: Matt_2k34

Just AVOID 1&1, my dad started a web-store business with them, completely incompetent, slapped on charges at random, took hostage of his domains + webspace, (locking us out, preventing us even from getting the stuff on it), alongside (Now) Santander, formerly Abbey's incompetent business staff, im pretty sure between them they're the reason the company flopped  Sad
Regards

That's not my experience. I used 1&1 for several years with no trouble at all. My reason for changing was because I handed our club website to another member and decided to change my own domain. I then went to one.com as it was more economic for me. Have now been with one.com for two years, again with no problems.
amcclean
Rising Star

Hi everyone,
thank you for the quick responses. I have since managed to pin my host down and confirm that I can stay on the higher spec'ed legacy package and will not be forced to pay any more.

podman