cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mySQL connnection headache!!!

TMGanywhere

mySQL connnection headache!!!

As a plusnet ISP customer I can connect fine to my rumpus.plus.net mySQL database using the mySQL ODBC connector for MS Access.
I'm also now a PAYH customer and have 2 databases on their server plesk-db01.plus.net
However, I'll be damned if I can connect!!! I've used the default account username/[password and created individual usernames for each database and STILL can't connect!!!
I CAN use their phpadmin page to access the database without any problems, but the external connection is a nightmare...
What's the problem! - has anyone else experienced this and how do I solve it!?!?!?    Crazy
24 REPLIES 24
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: mySQL connnection headache!!!

This question has been asked before: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,69580.0.html
For some reason no-one from Plusnet seems to want to answer the question! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Apologies this question has been missed previously.
I'm not actually sure what the problem is here, but I'll get the PAYH support guys onto this in the morning for you.
TMGanywhere

Hi jelv.
I read the other post, and the lack of response - though a new thread might trigger something and it looks like that may have worked! 🙂 Thanks Mand
I asked PAYH support about it and they just pointed me to the previous thread - which says nothing! ~ROFL~
Quite a difference as PlusNet support have always been absolutely fantastic with me over the years. PAYH seem to be lacking somewhat. RFTM doesn't work on this one! 🙂
TMGanywhere

No progress yet - my PAYH ticket hasn't been responded to - any feedback anyone?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I've checked this with the relevant people internally and have confirmed that access is locked down on Plesk at the moment. This is predominantly a security decision, and access is obviously available through PHPMyAdmin.
The CGI platform allows this type of access, but the PAYH platform doesn't is the ultimate answer.
Perhaps if enough people want it a PUGIT could be raised to gather momentum?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

How about allowing access by only Plusnet IPs?
TMGanywhere

so if I understand correctly, a PHP script hosted on PAYH should be able to connect to the database ok - I just can't do it from here via mySQL ODBC connection?
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Our services are used by people from all around the world and not just Plusnet customers, so this could potentially cause alot more issues if we were to do that.
so if I understand correctly, a PHP script hosted on PAYH should be able to connect to the database ok - I just can't do it from here via mySQL ODBC connection?

Yea, anything in your web space would be able to connect to that server, such as another version of phpMyAdmin
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The PHP "mysql_*" family of commands certainly work fine within PHP code running on the PAYH platform for access to a PAYH mySQL database.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Kev

Our services are used by people from all around the world and not just Plusnet customers, so this could potentially cause alot more issues if we were to do that.

I don't understand what you are saying here Kev. At the moment you block everything outside of plus.net (or it may be even tighter than that - can a script on ccgi.plus.net access the databases on PAYH?). What we are asking for is the ability to access the database using applications running on PC's connecting via Plusnet IP ranges.
I've tried pinging plesk-db01.plus.net and it doesn't respond (the name resolves to 212.56.83.228) and it doesn't respond on port 3306.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
PAYH is on a different part of the network to all of Plusnet.
When I was referring to anything in your space, I was meaning in your space on the PAYH platform. So anything you have uploaded in to your space on the PAYH service, will be able to connect to the data base server, such as a different phpMyadmin version.
Everyone is blocked from accessing the database server remotely, and if we were to change this in the future, we would need to allow any IP to be able to connect to the server as all users that use this service are not going to be customers who connect with Plusnet.
Hope that clears things up?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Current CCGI users have access to the mySQL servers at present. I fail to see why opening up access to the PAYH db servers for those users when they are forced to migrate across to PAYH means you also have to open it up to the rest of the world - you wouldn't be taking away anything from non-Plusnet PAYH users, but at present you are taking away something from Plusnet's CCGI users.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Please see Mands post earlier in the thread that has asked if anyone wants this to raise it as a PUGIT and if we get enough demand for this, we will look in to coming up with a solution that will work for everyone.
But as things stand at the moment this will continue to be blocked.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Now raised as PUGIT 434
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.