cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dyndns.org help please

NedLudd
Grafter

Re: dyndns.org help please

You have rebooted your router since getting the static IP address from PlusNet haven't you?
Geoff,
York.
launton
Grafter

Quote from: NedLudd
You have rebooted your router since getting the static IP address from PlusNet haven't you?

Yes Ned I have, and my public IP is correct. 
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just checking you saw my reply before Ned jumped in?
launton
Grafter

Quote from: pwatson
Quote from: launton
when it updates itself it's changing any IP that I enter to a random IP address starting with 146.xx which are American IP's.

What is causing the IP address to update?  Do you have something on your network that is ruuning a DynDNS update client?  The address shouldn't be changing at all unless you're telling it to...  It looks to me that your update client hasn't correctly updated the discovered WAN address.
Simple answer to that is I don't know really.
Take a look at your camera settings and see if it has a built in DynDNS updater - If so, try rebooting the camera and see if that fixes it?  Is it your router that runs the update?  If so, give that a kick instead!
I will! I want to ha ha
Another thought - Have you sold/passed on a previously used router or other device that may be updating the setting?   If all else fails, change your DynDNS password and the problem should go away Wink
OOh well yes I have but I will have factory reset it before but you might be onto something there - thank you!
[Edit]I believe you may be using a HH5?  See this thread about a relatively recent change to DynDNS that may be preventing the HH5 updating (if that's what you've got setup as your update source)

I'm using an Asus model
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

PN issue 146.xxx.xxx.xxx IP addresses (they are incorrectly shown as US on some geo-IP lookups still) so the actual address is not particularly an issue - You may well have had it at some stage without realising before you got your static address.
DynDNS details don't just update by themselves so something on your network, or the network now using your old router (less likely if you factory reset it) is telling the system to change.  The 'dirty' fix is to simply change your DynDNS password as that will stop whatever is causing the update to stop working and, as you have a static IP address now, this won't cause any issues.  It would be nice to get to the bottom of the problem properly though!
launton
Grafter

Thank you.  I'm beginning to think it's this new Asus it seems to tally when this started happening, but as you say with the static IP its a non-issue as far as the cams go. 
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

As others have alluded to, the 146 IP ranges are ours. If your dyndns IP keeps updating/changing, then it suggests somebody on another Plusnet connection is using your dyndns account and it's being updated with their IP. Changing the dyndns account password would remedy this.
If the account gets updated with an IP other than your own again, post the IP here and I can find out whose connection it belongs to.
It's all kind of moot though, because you don't need the dyndns account to access anything on your network now that you have a static IP (which I can see is being correctly assigned to your connection BTW).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

launton
Grafter

Thanks a lot Bob I have changed my dyn password (it's used for other things so is needed) and will see what happens now.  All the replies are much appreciated.