cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection issues with a VPN

CptnZero

connection issues with a VPN

Hi

My wife has had to work from home, she's a civil sevant and has to use the government VPN "Tris" to connect, over the last couple of months the connection keeps dropping throughout the day. I've paid for the static IP address, turned off the Plusnet firewall and also put her laptop in the DMZ all with no effect.

Is there anything else to try and troubleshoot? being a govermnet laptop the settings are locked down so not much I can change on the machine itself. The service works fine when she is tethered to her mobile.

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: connection issues with a VPN

My first thought is that it's probably not a good idea to put a government laptop in the DMZ, but presumably that was just done briefly for testing purposes.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to see your wife is having issues getting onto her work VPN from home.

Based on what you've done, it doesn't sound like there'd be an issue our side if you've tried a dynamic IP, static IP, turned off the broadband firewall, and completely bypassed the router's firewall (which I too wouldn't recommend).

Has she spoken to her work's IT department to specifically look at the logs their side? That may shed some light into what's happening when the VPN doesn't connect. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@CptnZero wrote:

... over the last couple of months the connection keeps dropping throughout the day.

Just to be sure that the obvious (!) has not been over looked, can you be sure that when the VPN is seen to have "been dropped" that it is just the VPN connection ... and not everything due to an xDSL drop?

Work activity tends to be intense and thereby we do notice xDSL drops (which can be brief) which would otherwise never be detected.

Are the drops coincident with the use of the telephone line?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.