cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Full fibre - how to port BT landline?

FIXED
RG3
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Upgrade to Full fibre - how to port BT landline?

I am upgrading my fibre to the cabinet (without line). PlusNet will take over from BT copper connection to the cabinet but said I can port my land number to VoIP provider if I want to keep my telephone number.

The VoIP provider indicates that I would loose the broadband service once I port the number to them. 

So my question is: will porting the landline number to VoIP affect the PlusNet Fibre broadband service?. BT couldn't confirm either way.

11 REPLIES 11
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

Re: Upgrade to Full fibre - how to port BT landline?

Probably it will.

Wait until FTTP is up and running then initate the port. The number is quarentineed for 30 days to allow this. There will be some down time on the phone.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

So my question is: will porting the landline number to VoIP affect the PlusNet Fibre broadband service?. BT couldn't confirm either way.

@RG3 if you port the number BEFORE the upgrade from FTTC to SoGEA (FTTC without phone) , then yes , it will cease your landline and broadband service.

As part of the upgrade to SoGEA, Plusnet will do a 'change of ownership, cease' on the landline but keep the broadband active.

Now for what you can do to port the number to voip. When a landline number is ceased, you now have a 'right to retain' the number for up to 30 days. So as soon as the upgrade completes, request the number port to your voip provider. The only 'fly in the ointment' is that some voip providers have highly automated porting systems, and MAY see your number as 'not active' and thus reject the port. In this situation, they must contact the losing providers porting desk and manually request the port. Some voip providers refuse to do this as it costs then time & money.

It's know that Sipgate are reluctant to do manual ports whereas A & A (especially if they are aware in advance) will.

HTH

edit: saw @bmc  s post after I submitted mine. @RG3 is it really FTTP or SoGEA you're going to ? not that it makes much difference to the process...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RG3
Hooked

Thank you very much for your help. As suggested I will wait for PlusNet to complete the transfer and then I will apply to port the number to the VoIP supplier.

Re FTTC or SoGEA:  I had PlusNet infinity (fibre to the cabinet) connecting through an OpenReach FTTC/DSL supplied modem. For the upgrade to PlusNet "fibre" I have now the newer PlusNet Hub II plugged direct to the BT master point. So I guess it will be FTTC and that the new hub has has a built-in FTTC modem.

Thank you

Batfrog
Rising Star

My experience of this process a couple of days ago went well. Might ne worth a look - message 6

https://community.plus.net/t5/Full-Fibre/FTTP-Instalation/m-p/1946372#M22732

Good luck with your changes

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 51

@RG3 

You can check here what's available to your house. Full Fibre shows as WBC FTTP

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

In case it's still "in build" you can check OR's plans for your property.

www.openreach.com

Brian

RG3
Hooked

Great links, thank you. It seems fast fibre is available at the neares street cabinet but final connection will be via the existing copper cable. Full fibre for me will be for the future 🙂

Thanks again

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@RG3  That doesn't make much sense, Full Fibre does not come from the street cabinets, can you post a screenshot of the checker results. I get the feeling you are moving to SOGEA which is FTTC so still using the copper line but without a phone service, this is what Plusnet confusingly call their Fibre service. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
RG3
Hooked

Thanks @RealAleMadrid. I am not sure but it seems to me that SOGEA + FTTC means fibre to the cabinet and copper for final connection which would be the old "Infinity fibre" but without the requirement for a landline. I seem to recall that a few years back a new cabinet was installed next to the old BT cabinet and I assumed that this housed the fibre optic and links to the final copper distribution.

I enclose copy of the checker as suggested it doesn't mean much to me but may clarify.

Thanks again

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@RG3  As I suspected your only available option is SOGEA so it's basically exactly the same as your existing FTTC service using the copper landline from the FTTC cabinet to your house, but there is no phone service so if you want to keep your number you need to port it to a VOIP provider.

Message#3 of this thread by @MisterW tells you all the relevant information.

RG3
Hooked

Fix

@RealAleMadrid , great thank you for your help