cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access Plusnet website

FIXED
OldBigKid

Re: Unable to access Plusnet website

Oh and when I use the following https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html#hostname=Plus.net I see that the root cert is sha1 if that helps - when browsing from my mobile device
seabasskarp
Dabbler

Incredible that your website is still inaccessible for many people. What is your analytics data saying for Chrome now?
ont
Hooked

It's astonishing that an ISP the size of plusnet haven't sorted out such a basic security issue. Maybe they should hire in a new developer so I can actually view my bills without lowering my browser security.
jwsg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It would be poor that any website would have deprecated security but for a leading ISP it's incredible - and 3 weeks after the solution was posted here.

The approach of burying issues in Everything Else is not atypical - like no announcement or apology for not scaling discounts with the last CPI rise, no announcement or apology for the DNS failure, no improvements to the billing system.

In this case it's unclear what the current strategy is - it won't fix itself if ignored as the Chrome change will continue to reach ever more users but only discovered when they need urgent access to the website - so there is no real option other than  redoing the site certificate - promptly and not waiting on "session data for visitors using Chrome". 

Batfrog
Rising Star

I’ve just spent the last hour or so trying to get into my Plusnet account with the same result as everyone else – ‘This site can’t provide a secure connection’.The first time for a month or two.

Like many others I immediately tried Firefox and Edge and of course they worked fine. After initially trying the obvious and a fruitless search on Google I came across post 29 in this thread so a BIG thank you to @RevvyRevRev – problem solved !

Having a cynical outlook on Plusnet these days I’m tempted to wonder if it’s partly deliberate? at least not bothering to fix the problem as part of their closing down strategy!! given that they’ve ditched, mobiles, are in the process of ditching landlines and the anecdotal evidence from friends is that they’re pushing EE for mobiles and BT if you want a landline. For the non-techy I imagine they will ring Plusnet when they can’t access their account and I’d bet they’ll get the sales patter about EE & BT.

I’ve said elsewhere that I expect to wake up one morning to find I’ve become a BT customer, at least until the end of my current Plusnet contract when they’ll no doubt expect me to roll over and pay over double for the same service, hmm… I wonder.

ont
Hooked

I've been feeling cynical about a lack of a fix too, definitely something not right if the management aren't pushing a fix on an issue shutting out a browser with 64% market share. I think our days with plusnet are numbered, not one sane person is going to sign up to a contract with plusnet if they can't access the website for a month.
Azagoth
Grafter

Getting the same issue here too. Can't access my account due to the same error posted above. Works on my desktop if I use Firefox, but I like to use my Chromebook too and I like to keep it clean, so installing another browser isn't an option . And to be completely honest it shouldn't be.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Noticed I hit this problem when trying to access plus.net* too with Chrome app (117.0.5938.61) for Android 13 this morning. Samsung's browser connects to the site ok.

Reinstalling Chrome didn't resolve.

This site can’t provide a secure connection

www.plus.net uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Unsupported protocol
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 77

ont
Hooked

That's great, but this should've been fixed by plusnet. Can you give me any other URL you visit that has this problem and requires me to downgrade my browser security, or is it just an ISP belonging to one of the largest communication companies in the UK that can't sort it out?
New customers aren't going to be coming on the plusnet forums to work out why the website has been down for nearly a month, they'll simply go elsewhere.
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

No problems in the last month but for the first time this morning I too cannot access the Plusnet site with Chrome (either the previous version or the latest  117.0.5938.132 version which it has just updated to) but can get to the site using Edge. Also, I note these forums are much faster on Edge cf Chrome.Have PN got something against Chrome?

DerekW
Rising Star

Same things started happening to me today when I wanted to check my account.

The fault lies with Plusnet and thyme really need to get this fixed

"No one has ever become poor by giving" - Anne Frank
Capvermell
Rising Star

I tried to access Manage My Mail today (to add hotels.com as a whitelisted email address after Plusnet suddenly started bouncing its security code password emails to access their website as spam having not previously done so) via the method that is itself a workaround caused by Plusnet failing to fix things with email control access for older accounts that still have Plusnet email services as discussed in the thread at https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Is-the-email-service-being-withdrawn-or-not/m-p/1939853/emcs_t/S...

Now I find that the whole Plusnet website is not available in the latest version of Google Chrome that I have just updated to and Plusnet not keeping up to date on things security certificates wise although for now I can still access the Plusnet website with the latest version of Microsoft Edge.

As BT finally allowed Plusnet to start selling FTTP products to customers surely it has no plans to withdraw the separate Plusnet internet brand and so should be keeping its website up to date in security terms.  Also Plusnet members not being able to access its own website does seem to be an extremely serious fault that surely ought to receive top priority in terms of urgent resolution?

Batfrog
Rising Star

@Capvermell As BT finally allowed Plusnet to start selling FTTP products to customers surely it has no plans to withdraw the separate Plusnet internet brand and so should be keeping its website up to date in security terms.  Also Plusnet members not being able to access its own website does seem to be an extremely serious fault that surely ought to receive top priority in terms of urgent resolution?

Yes Plusnet are selling FTTP, at least in my area. Just because Plusnet is a household name, at least most people seem to have heard of them doesn’t mean they can’t fold if the bean counters aren’t happy. Look at Woolworths and Wilkinsons to name but two!

BT / Plusnet is slightly different in that they have almost identical products [except landlines/VOIP] running on the same infrastructure, also one owns the other so there’s no ‘takeover’ involved. The main difference, from the customers point of view is the pricing structure so I guess we’re back to the bean counters i.e. can they make more money as two organisations or one ?

md1947fd1943

I am using a chromebook and i am having the same trouble getting in to Plusnet Website.