cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP address activation

Cuppajoe
Dabbler

Static IP address activation

i have had terrible trouble with both PC and PS5 since we upgraded to fibre and got the hub two router.

I've tried setting a static IP for my PS5 today and it hasnt worked yet.

I have it set as

192.168.1.251 for the ps5, which is what the hub ipv4 table says that the ps5 is from dhcp

192.168.1.254 for the host

255.255.255.0 subnet

212.159.6.9 primary dns

212.159.6.10 secondary dns

mtu auto

I havent paid the £5 static ip and id be happy to pay that to get the damn thing to work. I am a tennant though and the landlord owns the bill so i dont have access to the user area to buy a static ip address addon. Can I request it here and just pay for it myself or do I need to ask the landlord to do it..?

27 REPLIES 27
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Re: Static IP address activation

Only the landlord, as the account holder, can do this.

John
Cuppajoe
Dabbler

OK yes I thought so. Thanks. I've asked him.

Is there any insight to why this is happening. There are 5 people living in the building, 2 ps5s, an amazon plug, powerline adapters and a tplink extender and also one of the guys has a tplink powerline adapter that is not the same type as most of ours but it seems to work. Have tried everything and tried unplugging things, rebooting the router rebooting the pcs and ps5, have changed dhcp on the extender from auto to off but still t always glitches out, sometimes even in the middle of a game of zombies. We are all getting connection issues. Initially I was getting issue connecting my pc but now ps5 as well and sometimes I can get one to work but not the other.

I have noticed inconsistent things about some of the things on the device table it's, sometimes shows some devices as static and have the "always use this ip address" option ticked, which i have tried putting to no. There should be no static ip address stuff because we don't have that yet.

For some reason it seems that the hub two router cannot manage the ip addresses. Is buying a new router perhaps the way to go?
Cuppajoe
Dabbler

Untitled.png

it seems this powerline adapter one of the guys downstairs is using has got dhcp turned on

download.jpg

Untitled2.png

Cuppajoe
Dabbler

I wanted to share some more info about this that I've discovered.

The plug above isnt a powerline adapter its a range extender. Another tenant has another one slightly different tp link rnage extender.

The are both using them in their rooms, which i tried to explain to at least one fo them that its pointless to do that because its only repeating the signal that is already in that room.

It seems that what was happening is that both of them had dhcp set to auto and both of them were calling themselves the same name routername_ext. So I've changed the name of one of them and they both now have dhcp set to off.

So that is part of the problem solved.

The issue is not gone yet though. There is another device, a samsung galaxy watch that seems to have a static ip forced by the plusnet two router. I cannot change it from static to dhcp nor disable the checkbox that says "always use this ip". The plusnet hub two router is also forcing static ip "always use this ip address" to random devices such as my pc and ps5 intermitently.

It seems that the galaxy watch needs to have wifi turned off because it is also trying to be a hotspot and using dhcp which is confusing the plusnet hub two router. So im making progress, I know nothing about these watches but its next on the hit list for a damn good tweaking.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 403

There should be no static ip address stuff because we don't have that yet.

@Cuppajoe you are confusing a static public IP (which is what the £5 charge is for) with private IPs allocated in your local network. Having a static public IP will make no difference to your problem. You problem seems likely that some devices in your network have been set to static IP (on the device) and the router is allocating the same IP to another device by DHCP.

The default router DHCP range is .64 to .253 so any devices that are set with static IP's should not use that range , they MUST be in the ..1 to .63 range. If you need a device to retain the same IP all the time , then use the 'always use this IP' setting in the router, which causes the router to always allocate the same IP (via DHCP). 

You should also check that none of the range extenders have their own DHCP server active n.b that is not the same as their obtaining their own IP via DHCP from the router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cuppajoe
Dabbler

ok thanks there's some helpful pointers there - and yes in that case I wont order the static ip addon.

Its a very frustrating situation because I have gone through great troubleshooting with buying the correct powerline adapters, the av600 set for two of the tenants - one of them took it off saying it was glitchy and put a range extender in his room - idiotic.

The other one has probably tried to apply a static IP to his stuff because he likes to try and hack watching football games on a vpn, he has no clue what he is doing at all, it literally took me days to explain to him what a powerline adapter is but yet he has alexa, a smart watch, a vpn and who knows what else.

I did not know that the static ip range was different and so that is a useful tip. So that means that I can apply a static IP to my devices without paying the fee or doing any extra config, so long as I do it wihin the right range. If I can do that then I should be able to at least make my own stuff work.

At this point Im thinking that it is the galaxy smart watch. It says that it has a static ip wired connection which is odd, but maybe that is because it is linked to his av600 wifi powerline adapter which is wired in. It seems his laptop has a static ip too ( - which theres no way he is smart enough to be able to configure so it might be his vpn doing it perhaps.

I have already renamed one of the range extenders which left a router_ext connection - which is now the other range extender but I suspect that another device is trying to be a hotspot and also using the router_ext name so i can try and rename that one too (if the guy will cave in and give me the password) and see if the router_ext connection is still there.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It says that it has a static ip wired connection which is odd, but maybe that is because it is linked to his av600 wifi powerline adapter which is wired in

That's to be expected, the Hub 2 will see anything connected via the powerline adapter as a wired connection since the powerline is connected to a wired port on the Hub2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 76

@Cuppajoe wrote:

it seems this powerline adapter one of the guys downstairs is using has got dhcp turned on

download.jpg

Untitled2.png

The DHCP against 192.168.1.253 means the Hub Two DHCP thinks it's providing the IP Address not that DHCP is turned on on that device.

As previously mentioned  both RE315 have there DHCP server turned off to prevent any duplicates

Cuppajoe
Dabbler

you've touched on something there because I hadnt really realised that there are two of those, that clearly shows two different mac addresses so there must be another one. Sometimes it shows two of them, one for the 2.4ghz and one for the 5ghz, but they are both 5ghz with different mac address.

The fact that none of them have been set up at all, they all want to be called router_ext, which i thnk maybe what this is all about. If they all have different names, as well as having the dhcp set to off, not auto, then hopefully all will work ok.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Cuppajoe 

you've touched on something there because I hadnt really realised that there are two of those, that clearly shows two different mac addresses so there must be another one. Sometimes it shows two of them, one for the 2.4ghz and one for the 5ghz, but they are both 5ghz with different mac address.

On reflection this is probably the same device as the MAC addresses are very close. I've used a TP-Link One-Mesh RE300 in the past I have noticed a device created MAC address close to the device actual hardware MAC Address.

On this RE315 the device created MAC Address is (06:4F:67:14:F6:A5) based on one of the RE315 hardware MAC Address (00:5F:67:14:F6:A4).

Unfortunately  I can not remember under what conditions this local MAC address is created and used.

Cuppajoe
Dabbler

so looking at the av600 wpa4220 set today, i use the two basic plugs, ive never done any config other to pair them. The other tenant has the wifi version. My basic ones are v3 and his wifi one is v1.2.

I upgraded his firmware to the the 1.2 beta is had a note about chaing the ip address, My basic plugs dont have ip config as far as i know, his one has no setting for dhcp but it has a default ip address which was originally 192.168.1.1, which is what the hub device table shows as having anything connected to it - such as the galaxy watch - to have a static ip.

The firmware didnt update it to what it said it would - it changed it to 192.168.1.40

thats how far ive got so far, the wifi plug of the wpa4220 set needs an ip address and now its that..

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Cuppajoe 

I suspect you are referring to TL-PA4010 v3 for the basic model; this are powerline adapters and have no IP Address

WPA4220; did you confirm the hardware version before you upgrade the firmware. I have used this model, details

TL-WPA4220 5.0 1.0.12 Build 230309 Rel.64136n (6985/8575)
The model number should be found on the label on the device, only install the firmware version associated with the label version.
The IP Address 192.168.1.1 would be the default IP Address of the WPA, but if the device is set to "Obtain an Ip Address Automatically (recommended)" then it's will be the IP Address received from the Hub.
The IP Address setting is found in >Advanced >Device settings >LAN settings 

You do know the TL-PA4010 and TL-WPA4220 LAN connections are only 100mbps so your broadband speeds will be hardware restricted by these devices if you are using Full Fibre above Full Fibre 74 package.
Even the power circuits in the property will have an impact on connection speeds and sharing files across your local network. 
Cuppajoe
Dabbler

hi, yes ok they were 1.2, i did try initially to upgrade them to v5 but it didnt work. Then I found something about changing the filename > shortening the filename whcih seemed was the answer, but then it didnt work. 

So yes the firmware was 1.2 and now it 1.2 beta, maybe the ip address change of the firmware is the only important bit - or maybe its not even important that that ip address is updated - somebody did kindly mention the correct static ip and dhcp ranges abopve, i havent referenced it yet but ill do that and make sure it fits to what the correct range should be.

I suspect that this firmware has ticked the obtain ip address automatically, its not responding to my .40 login now so it must have changed again.

What you said about 100mbs is interesting and defintely does ring true because I can get 80mbps through the powerline adapter to the top floor and i had some wifi speed test results at 147mb connecting to the ground floor router with my phone from the top floor.

Whats weird about that though is they are meant to be 600mbps arent they, AV600 - clue in the name>?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Whats weird about that though is they are meant to be 600mbps arent they, AV600 - clue in the name>?

They MAY be able to transmit data between themselves over the electrical system at 600Mb, although that's questionable!, but with only 10/100 Ethernet ports there's no way that any one unit can transmit/receive data to a connected ethernet network at >100Mb.

TBH Powerlines are the 'spawn of the devil', use them with extreme care. If have a pair of AV1300 ones that do have gigabit ethernet ports, connected on the same electrical circuit they max out at about 150Mb, connected on different circuits (but the same RCD) they drop to about 50Mb, on circuits with different RCDs(Split load cons unit) about 15Mb!!. I only use them for temporary connections, nothing beats a real cat5e cable (well maybe a cat6😁)