cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to have new FTTP and existing FTTC service concurrently?

Jorvik
Grafter

Possible to have new FTTP and existing FTTC service concurrently?

Situation - John is an existing Plusnet FTTC customer.

Can John order a new Plusnet FTTP service and also retain his existing Plusnet FTTC service, with the end result of both services running concurrently?

Or is this just going to confuse Plusnet's systems too much, and the FTTP order will end up being assumed to be a 'takeover' of the FTTC service?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Possible to have new FTTP and existing FTTC service concurrently?

@Jorvik  No reason why you can't have a new FTTP service, obviously with a new username. It should be totally independent of the FTTC service. Just make sure you never reveal the existing phone number when ordering.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
nitram
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Yes

2023-09-15_112601.png

Jorvik
Grafter

Hi @nitram, yes I have also seen that screen in the order process 'journey'.

However sometimes things can get in a tangle behind the scenes - in this case perhaps there's more of a chance of that, given Plusnet would also be the "current landline provider". (I'm thinking of a potential muddle more on Plusnet's side when processing the order, rather than Openreach's side of things.)

It'd be good to hear of anyone who has successfully done this.

(No surprise to hear that this is related to keeping the landline number alive, for a later port-across to a VoIP provider.)

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 78

@Jorvik 

Maybe a case like this needs a chat with plusnet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 406

@Jorvik I've recently done exactly this for a family member. He can't risk losing his landline number and so once FTTP is installed ( currently planned for 26 Sept) , he will port the existing number to voip , thus ceasing the FTTC.

Will post back here to report how it goes, but so far its looking ok.

You need to aware that there's a possibility that the OR engineer MAY attempt to remove the copper line anyway, so you need to make them aware that its NOT to be removed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nitram
Rising Star

@Jorvik 

If the PlusNet FTTC is being terminated you will get a 'sorry you are leaving us' notification, if you get this get the order cancelled and try again.

if no notification its  just a matter of watching openreach/sub contractor on the day although if they rip the copper out the account will still exist. 

Batfrog
Rising Star

@MisterW You need to aware that there's a possibility that the OR engineer MAY attempt to remove the copper line anyway, so you need to make them aware that its NOT to be removed.

In my case I hope they do!! There are quite a few houses near me who have TWO cables running from the same pole, it’s getting to look quite untidy – in my opinion at least.

A friend of mine who moved house recently was told by Openreach  (or Quin or ?)  on behalf of Plusnet that they weren’t allowed to remove the old copper cable without specific instructions to do so. I guess that may be because the phone and broadband could possibly be from different suppliers in some cases? His old house has now sprouted another cable which I understand is FTTP from SKY. I wonder if the copper is actually connected to anything at either end ?

Maybe things will change now we’ve passed copper ‘stop-sell’.

nitram
Rising Star

@Batfrog 

If they insist on leaving the coper and layout of wiring is suitable ask them to use hybrid cable.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 406

If they insist on leaving the coper and layout of wiring is suitable ask them to use hybrid cable.

I don't believe hybrid cable is an option any longer. My install was a couple of years ago, and is a hybrid cable to the pole but I'm fairly sure that hybrid was dropped shortly after that. Now its either a 2nd cable or replace the copper if you don't want it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jorvik
Grafter

@MisterW wrote:

@Jorvik I've recently done exactly this for a family member. He can't risk losing his landline number and so once FTTP is installed ( currently planned for 26 Sept) , he will port the existing number to voip , thus ceasing the FTTC.

Will post back here to report how it goes, but so far its looking ok.

Thanks @MisterW  - ideally I was looking for someone who'd had experience of trying this, so your input is very welcome - and do please update us on how it goes.

Jorvik
Grafter

@nitram wrote:

@Jorvik 

If the PlusNet FTTC is being terminated you will get a 'sorry you are leaving us' notification, if you get this get the order cancelled and try again.

if no notification its  just a matter of watching openreach/sub contractor on the day although if they rip the copper out the account will still exist. 

Thanks @nitram. Hopefully @MisterW will be able to enlighten us as to whether Plusnet's systems and processes can handle this scenario without muddling things up.