Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pointing .com and .co.uk at same web site on Plusnet

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Pointing .com and .co.uk at same web site on Plusnet

I hadn't expected you to do any redirects. What I'd expected you to do was change the name server for the .com domain to Plusnet's, either using the control panel or asking 123-reg to do it if that is the procedure. When that is complete you raise a hosting-request ticket to Plusnet to get the appropriate DNS entries created on Plusnet's nameservers.
This is explained in section 2 of the previously linked How to Transfer a Domain help page.
For convenience I've attached a snip from the relevant section of that help page.
There is no need to do this for your .co.uk domain because it has already been done.
What I expect will happen with the redirects you've entered is (hopefully) nothing whatsoever for your .co.uk domain because the Plusnet nameservers are authoritative. For the .com domain anyone going there will be permanently sent to your fosterbalke webspace but the latter address will appear in the address bar. That's fine if that is your intention, but I would have thought it wouldn't be.
David
forsterbalcke
Grafter

Like I said at the start it has to be REALLY SIMPLE - no jargon - if I am to get things right!
I know about railway tickets and bus tickets & book plane tickets online but ...

No, it was NOT my intention for my .com domain name to display my forsterbalcke.plus in the tool bar.
I want my holywellhousepublishing.com address to display the .co.uk domain name address in the tool bar.
HOW DO I UNDO THIS?

Is this the link you referred to?
----- snip
Is your intention that Plusnet will also host your .com domain? I think this would be requested using "Transfer in" on your Plusnet account Domain names page. Once that is complete what the 123-reg control panel says for this domain would also become immaterial.
------ end
I failed to grasp what you were saying.

What you have told me in my last mail is better.
And I shall attempt to follow those instructions.
But what is Plusnet's "name server"?

Bill
forsterbalcke
Grafter

OK, I have changed the "name server" as advised using the 123-reg control panel.
When that is done do I still have to:
When the name servers have updated (you can check this using Whois), use the following Help Assistant path to raise a hosting request:
AND WHAT ARE CONSEQUENCES OF MY EARLIER DOMAIN NAME TRANSFER?
Will that issue be resolved by my changing the name server?
Or is some other action on my part required?
Bill
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Having researched 123-reg offerings and help pages I think you can achieve what you said in your last but one post without needing to involve Plusnet at all. That means you will not have to use the Plusnet Help Assistant to raise a ticket/ask a question and anything I've posted in this thread in that connection should be disregarded.
Firstly please use your 123-reg control panel to change the name servers for your holywellhousepublishing.com domain back to what they were before (from the whois record I think those were probably ns.123-reg.co.uk and ns2.123-reg.co.uk).
Once that is done follow the instructions on the 123-reg support page How do I set up my DNS for web forwarding?
Now follow the instructions on the 123-reg support page How do I add 301 (Permanent) Web forwarding? to change the forwarding destination to holywellhousepublishing.co.uk
(this requires an edit of what you entered before)
Once those have taken effect (24-48 hours) I think that should be it.
Note: don't do this with your holywellhousepublishing.co.uk domain - the name servers for that need to point to Plusnet's.
David
forsterbalcke
Grafter

holywellhousepublishing.com was still pointing at the 123-reg name servers:
ns.123-reg.co.uk and
ns2.123-reg.co.uk
So I did not need to revert back to these.

But I have now as per your `advice above done a permanent redirect to:
holywellhousepublishing.co.uk
Hopefully, if I have done correctly what you told me to do this will - without any further action on my part - mean that within 48 hours anybody entering the .com address will end up on my .co address instead of on the 123-reg parking slot as at present.
Is that right?
My American author has just left - pity I was unable to show him this working.
Bill
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Did you also make the changes to your DNS entries guided by the link in the following part of my post?
Quote from: spraxyt
Once that is done follow the instructions on the 123-reg support page How do I set up my DNS for web forwarding?

I think the change described there probably points your domain to your free 123-reg webspace (instead of the parking area). The permanent redirect will then create an entry in that redirecting .com domain references to your .co.uk webspace at Plusnet.
David
forsterbalcke
Grafter

Are you telling me it's now OK, and both domain names will now point at:
holywellhousepublishing.co.uk
on Plusnet?
Bill
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
As long as you've folllowed the instructions on the page spraxyt referred you to it should be fine. So I've had a look myself at holywellhousepublishing.com and that currently does not redirect to holywellhousepublishing.co.uk I just see a 123 reg landing page.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
spraxyt
Resting Legend

No I didn't say it's now OK.
What I did was ask you if you'd changed the DNS settings for your .com domain by following the step-by-step procedure which would have been displayed if you clicked on the link I provided. The link I'm referring to is this one:
How do I set up my DNS for web forwarding? Clicking that takes you to the
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/answers/how-do-i-set-up-my-dns-for-web-forwarding-2526/ page.
As it says on that page you need to change the values in the Content boxes of both the @ and www entries to read 94.136.40.82
See the attached DNSupdate.png image.
Once that has been done and been propagated, it should forward .com references to your .co.uk webspace.
However - it looks like you didn't enter the permanent redirect properly.
I think you have forwarded to holywellhousepublishing.co.uk/index rather than simply holywellhousepublishing.co.uk
To fix that you need to follow the step by step procedure displayed when you click on the following link
How do I edit my web forwarder? which takes you to the
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/support/answers/how-do-i-edit-my-web-forwarder-2522/ page
Change the Forwarding Destination entry to read holywellhousepublishing.co.uk and click the Confirm button.
David
forsterbalcke
Grafter

I am very glad to say that this issue which has been  dragged out over two pages of postings has been resolved by a 3 minute phone call  from somebody at 123-reg who spotted this topic on the Plusnet Forum and kindly got in touch to talk me through what needed doing.
So, folks, try entering my .com domain name and it will take you to: holywellhousepublishing.co.uk
Which should make my American author very happy!
Thank to all of you on this Forum who tried to help,
Bill