Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro add-on ending

Anonymous
Not applicable

Plusnet Pro add-on ending

From   https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-plusnet-pro-addon/ 

Screenshot 2022-08-30 at 19-13-58 About our Plusnet Pro add-on Help Plusnet.png

and a recently received email regarding my Plusnet service -

We’re making some changes to simplify our business and to help us offer the best possible products and services. As part of that process, we’re removing some older products and services.

We’re getting in touch to let you know that we’ve decided to stop offering Plusnet Pro. 

We’ll remove the service from your account on 2022-09-07 and you’ll no longer be charged for it after that date.

There’s nothing you need to do and there won’t be any other changes to your services.

Is it just this add-on that is being removed,  or are Plusnet doing away with ALL traffic prioritisation, and the "Current Line Speed" profile ?

5 REPLIES 5
falken
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet Pro add-on ending

Yes, also got the email. What are we losing by going to a normal Unlimited? I want it for prioritised traffic and static IP.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

As far as I’m aware we’re just removing the Pro Addon. I don't know what plans we have but this change shoudn’t affect how the "Current Line Speed" works, because the specific equipment which makes it tick is likely still in place, due to other services relying on this.

@falken wrote:

Yes, also got the email. What are we losing by going to a normal Unlimited? I want it for prioritised traffic and static IP.

Shouldn’t notice much of a difference if anything and this change won’t affect your static IP. Smiley

To try to explain things, the Pro Addon just prioritised a small amount of traffic like Gaming, VPN and VoIP, but it only really did so if you maxed out your connection which is generally tough to do with the higher bandwidths that fibre broadband offers. Out of interest, how fast a speed do you normally get? Additionally, a lot of content from popular streaming services like Netflix and YouTube is “cached” in our network, so less bandwidth is needed to download from the wider web, which means you can do more with the speed available to you.

Most commonly in my opinion P2P downloading can eat away at bandwidth which causes anything else you do on the web to slow down and while Pro may help with this somewhat, if you do use a P2P client, you can fairly easily set downloading limits in the program. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
falken
Dabbler

Thanks for the detailed explanation Gandalf, that pretty much answers everything I needed to know.

Cheers!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cool. No problem at all, let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with. 

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet