Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN Webspace Deleted/Archived/Whatevered

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: PN Webspace Deleted/Archived/Whatevered

@markhawkin - struggling to locate your account. Feel free to drop me a private message containing your username and I'll take a look when I've a minute.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Gandalf wrote:

@mikeb - I've raised a NetOps task (ref: INFOPS-86703) to look at unarchiving your webspace. Should have an update within a few days, but it may be next week, due to the Christmas season.

Website and permissions should be restored for you now.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mikeb
Rising Star

Just a quick message to confirm that I note wonders will never cease and accessible data has mysteriously appeared back on the FTP server. Thank you Smiley

And all without the much anticipated wait for some back-office team to 'get around to it' in January or a major debate on whether "deleted", "lost" or "over-written" are appropriate synonyms for "archived" into the bargain Wink

However, just to demonstrate the stupidity of this approach and the knee-jerk reaction to the alleged 120MB excess traffic, what happens now is:

(1) I have to DL 250MB of data at least once to check everything is there and everything linking to the restored data still works as it should do.

(2) I have to DL 250MB of data to do a new backup just in case.

(3) Everyone or everything accessing any of the data, directly or otherwise, is also likely to DL 250MB of data now because it probably "looks" like it has changed. Should any directory or file dates have been updated in the process then multiple 250MB DLs are absolutely guaranteed.

Congratulations PN. What an excellent solution to conserving bandwidth this is seeing that >1GB of totally unnecessary traffic is now most likely to occur ... and I therefore have a sneaky suspicion that we'll be back here unarchiving the data again sometime in the not too distant future because I have absolutely no control over any of this unexpected and unnecessary traffic.

I will read and respond where necessary to any recent posts sometime over the weekend.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
mikeb
Rising Star

More potential evidence that something very strange and completely unexplained went on leading to my webspace access being unreasonably suspended in November and for a totally unreasonable period of time into the bargain.

plusnet%20webspace%20bandwidth%20use%202022-12-29

The above netmeter image clearly demonstrates what happened earlier today for pretty much a repeat performance of my activities on 6th November. Something that is typically done monthly so nothing in any way unusual. As can quite clearly be seen from the local monitoring which is always running, the circa 3300 images on my PN webspace amounting to circa 100MB in total were only downloaded ONCE when the original html file was loaded by the browser. Loading the various modified html files (that reference exactly the same mass of images) refreshing pages and printing did NOT result in all of the image data being downloaded again because the vast majority if not all of the required data was cached from the initial download and hadn't changed. There could be no mistaking multiple downloads of circa 100MB of data had they actually happened at the time !

It will certainly be *VERY* interesting to see what my logfiles contain tomorrow and/or whether another alleged abuse snot-o-gram is being prepared as we speak Roll_eyes

Only PN can explain ... but I'm not going to be holding my breath waiting.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

@mikeb wrote:

(1) I have to DL 250MB of data at least once to check everything is there and everything linking to the restored data still works as it should do.

(2) I have to DL 250MB of data to do a new backup just in case.

(3) Everyone or everything accessing any of the data, directly or otherwise, is also likely to DL 250MB of data now because it probably "looks" like it has changed. Should any directory or file dates have been updated in the process then multiple 250MB DLs are absolutely guaranteed.

Keep a copy of your website on a local PC.

Use a sync program, this will show additions, changes & deletions to your web site..

Backup ? Just backup the local data.

Other users data out of sync ? Not if you use above method.............

mikeb
Rising Star

Needless to say I didn't get the snot-o-gram although it was getting a bit closer to the limit than is in any way desirable ! But the alleged usage turned out to be almost as strange as was expected. However, I'm not wasting any more time on this really because it's all somewhat irrelevant now.

Suffice it to say that the logged data usage figures are VERY strange at times and they do not appear to stack up particularly well with reality as seen at this end. A significant amount of download data is sometimes logged even when there is absolutely no doubt that the data is available locally and there is no evidence of any download data actually arriving here. It also varies seemingly randomly and for no obvious reason.  Both firefox and windows are renowned for grabbing every last byte of available memory for cache use and I have way more than enough mostly unused memory in the system ! There's probably more than sufficient to cache everything that I access all day every day for most of the time Tongue

That last download test resulted in significant amounts of data allegedly being downloaded but not really seen arriving at this end following a number of page refreshes. Sometimes as much as 50% extra and an amount generally increasing with time. But it wasn't just all of the relatively older stuff. It was widely spread out across the range of files from the first to last with no plausible looking reason behind it. For the same html file accessing the same set of image files, some were allegedly downloaded 3x, some 4x and some even 5x !

One very good, very strange and very obvious example is a temporary webpage that also has an associated background mp3 file. The player is not set to auto-start needless to say but it can be started manually should the viewer wish to. Good old netmeter confirms that the mp3 file is ONLY downloaded when someone actually presses the 'play' button on the player. It is NEVER downloaded when the page first loads or whenever it's refreshed. However, the PN logs show that there were allegedly multiple full downloads of the mp3 file which clearly didn't ever happen in reality !