Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Value Fibre + Pro Website size reduced

gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Moving to Value Fibre + Pro Website size reduced

I recently went from the FTTC trial to Value Fibre + Pro.
Today I got an email warning that my website was over the webspace allowance!
It appears that I have lost 150MB of allowance  that I had before.
I think this must be a mistake as I understood that earned webspace would not be taken away when you changed products.
I realise it is Easter Monday, so perhaps nothing can be done today to fix this.
jim:green title changed mod:end
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

You could try ringing but I wouldn't bank on it being sorted until after the holiday
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet fibre products launch today (19th April 2011) including new Pro Add-on

I'll leave it for now, I have raised a ticket anyway. At least they haven't deleted my website!
It appears they have reduced my webspace allocation from 250MB to 100MB by mistake.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Got a reply from CS to say I always had only 100MB - sorry that is just plain wrong. (I had 250MB from the dawn of day with PlusNet).
Hope that perhaps tomorrow someone can put things straight - I really don't need this hassle.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What were you on before you swapped to Extra?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gm4jjj
Rising Star

I was on PAYG then Pro (Up to 20GB per month), I have always had 250MB webspace since I signed up in 2002.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

gm4jjj
Rising Star

It gets worse, they have now acknowledges that I was right all along, but ...

Thanks for getting back to us, I've done some further investigation into your account and have found that you are correct, you should be getting 250MB of webspace. What you need to do is back up your website and we will add the 250MB to your account. Please let us know when you have done this so we can action the account change.
**internal**
When the customer replies please add 250MB webspace component and destroy the 100MB webspace component.

Surely not! - Backup all of my website(s) how - I mean WHY is this the way to go?
Can't they just change a variable from 100MB to 250MB someplace?

I am backing up anyway as who knows what they may do.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: gm4jjj
Surely not! - Backup all of my website(s) how?

I would just wait until tomorrow when Comms Team come on duty and they should sort it
I have flagged this up for action and split the thread off for better visibility
WWWombat
Grafter

How do you get your web pages onto the site in the first place? I'm guessing FTP of some sort... so you probably want to use FTP to copy the entire file structure off too.
Watch out if you have any find of database running in the background, such as MySQL, where some of your content could be sitting. If you have (do PN have this facility?), you'll need to get a copy of the data out of there - probably onto a file on your diskspace, and then take a copy of that out via FTP too.
Oldjim is right - it might be better to wait to see if a simple solution can be provided. However, you should be taking backup copies anyway!
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Re: Moving to Value Fibre + Pro Website size reduced

Thanks, I don't have any databases, but I do update files every few seconds from my weather station.
I have backups here of what I put up on the website, but I don't have an image of it.
I am using Transmit (FTP client on Mac) to copy the complete htdocs directory to my hard drive now.
I'll probably get a warning that I have exceeded my daily download traffic now !
I'll wait for tomorrow and hope they can sort it in a more reasonable way.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim

I would just wait until tomorrow when Comms Team come on duty and they should sort it
I have flagged this up for action and split the thread off for better visibility

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your help.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi gm4jjj,
I'll ask about this in the morning for you. We can change the components but the only way would be to destroy the 100/100 and then add a new 250/250 as far as I know which is why you were asked to back up the site. I'll see if there's any other way though and let you know.
gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks very much Matt.
I'll have to backup a couple of folders again tomorrow before I get you to move things.
It just seems odd that you were able to copy files from 250/250 to 100/100 but not the other way!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right, just done some tinkering (I'd taken a backup here as well just in case) and that should have sorted it - all your files are still there and the URLs work alright, you should now be back to your usual 250/250 limits though.
Please let me know if not but that should have sorted it Smiley