Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing in inaction, Again!

kaspencer
Rising Star

Missing in inaction, Again!

Good morning.

I sadly report non-delivery of web statistics for both of my domains, this morning, 20211110.

I would mbe grateful if this failure could be investigated and resolved ASAP.

I had been told that a person was assigned the task of keeping tabs on that service, as it "has a history" so to speak.

Hoping for an early resolution.

Thank you, in spe aeterna.

Kenneth Spencer

7 REPLIES 7
mikeb
Rising Star

Re: Missing in inaction, Again!

If the webservers were working and/or accessible in any significant way so that I could actually check ... I strongly suspect mine would all be conspicuous by their absence also Wink  The (plusnet) server(s) that I can access certainly haven't been updated but I can't access any of the important ones (force9) in any way whatsoever unfortunately. It's not just the webstats/logfiles that are missing ...it's absolutely everything including the kitchen sink and the all important kettle Tongue

I won't be holding my breath waiting for them given the apparently significant email and webspace server access issues in general at the mo ! Something is very broken somewhere in PN Towers it seems Sad

No mention of webspace issues but there is at least a status report for the e-mail access problems: Service Status 

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Hi Kenneth, this is linked to our wider incident this morning that has impacted some customers mail services.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
mikeb
Rising Star

http webspace access resumed earlier and now ftp access is apparently working sensibly again Smiley  Still no e-mail access though and no official comments that I've seen regarding whether all incoming mail is being queued/stored somewhere or data is being lost.

No surprise that all of yesterday's webstats/logfiles are rather conspicuous by their complete absence needless to say.

Assuming that yesterday's data is (or very soon will be) well and truly lost due to the panic of the day, what arrangements are in place (if any) to prevent the potential loss of today's webstats/logfiles (if any data actually exists) given the suggestion of overnight maintenance which (almost always !) manages to screw things up even on a good day ?

JonoH
Hero

for full transparency, I don't think any additional measures to safeguard and ensure the validity of webstats has been taken, although I may be wrong. The focus has been on fixing the outage and thus restoring service. 

I know that's not what you want to hear, and I may well be wrong, but I'd like to set the expectation that these stats might also be lost. I'm happy to chase them tomorrow to check, should email be restored and you find yourself missing them. 

Jono H
mikeb
Rising Star

Wooooooo, webstats/logfiles Cheesy

Some of the missing data has now been delivered but sadly not all present and correct though.  No data at all for 11th November and no data as yet for yesterday 15th November. Unfortunately, data for 12th November was delivered "out of date sequence" and will therefore just get ignored by webalizer.  My logfiles were apparently delivered late yesterday so a further update with data for yesterday may well be here later today I guess.

Some of my data does look very strange mind you although I'm not entirely sure why that may be at the mo.  Traffic is surprisingly high given the hit 'n' miss access for several days.

Mucho thanks to whoever for trying their best Smiley

kaspencer
Rising Star

Well, in the words of a well-known blues singer (any of them will do): "I woke up this morning ...". And what did I find?

Well, I found that my webstatistics for the days of PlusNet's "Age of Darkness", which I had rather given up for lost, had appeared by magic. Only one full day completely lost, a couple of days somewhat incomplete, but there theyu were.

I had refrained from making any adverse remarks about the apparent loss of webstats, in view of the fact that you chaps in PlusNet Manor were understandably fed up with it all, and I have made remarks elsewhere about all the unsatisfactory (i.e. absent) explanations, but today I am somewhat pleased that I have received something that I thought was lost. Well, think of it this way: I lost £1 and found £0.98p.

Thanks all ...

Kenneth Spencer

(PS: Is there anywhere where I can read any details about the events of recent days?)

JonoH
Hero

I'm pleased that you've got most of the data, and hopefully, you'll get it all from here on out. We don't usually post information on the cause of issues, and whilst I know that's sometimes frustrating it's pretty common in the industry. 

If you have any issues with your stats going forward, please just let us know.

Jono H