Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing files after migration

TonyN
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Missing files after migration

That really is great jtonline!
Got a download running right now, and feeling more cheerful too. Very many thanks.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi Tony,
I've had word that your database content has been resynced. How are things looking now?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

TonyN
Rising Star

Hi Bob
That has certainly dealt with the problem of the six missing images in recent posts. Unfortunately it will be Monday morning before I can do a more detailed check and establish that all is well.
Thanks for getting things moving.
TonyN
Rising Star

Hi Bob
I spent this morning auditing the migrated blog files.
The main problem that I have noticed so far is that a folder (‘disclosures’) that was previously at the highest level on the old site had not been migrated at all. As a result most of the links in this post (http://ccgi.newbery1.plus.com/blog/?p=703) were dead. I assumed that copying the folder to the corresponding folder on the new server would solve the problem, but this is not the case. The problem seems to be that there is an element prefixed by a tilda in the links that the new server does not recognise.
Obviously this can be remedied easily enough by editing the links, but I have no idea how many links in other posts to documents stored on the site may also be dead. I have never consciously used the element with the tilda, but I do recall seeing it often when I have copied links from the browser address bar and being puzzled as to why it was there. That is a more serious problem.
I am quite certain that the links referred to above worked at the time of the migration as that post was widely read and linked to by other sites and, apart from the fact that I always check links after posting, commenters would have quickly made me aware of any problem.
It would seem that on the old set-up, both the following links would work, but after migration only the second one does:
http://ccgi.xxxxxxx1.plus.com/~xxxxxxx1/disclosures/IBT application for DFID funding.pdf
http://ccgi.xxxxxxx1.plus.com/disclosures/IBT application for DFID funding.pdf
Where xxxxxxx1 is my username in each case.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Inclusion of /~username on the old server was a by-product of using suEXEC to allow CGI scripts to run as the script owner for access to owner files. By working in a particular way it was possible to avoid /~username appearing in URLs, but unless spotted and changed WordPress set-up included it in the site URL path.
If you login to the WordPress dashboard as the admin user, then check WordPress and Site URLs on the Settings->General screen I think you'll find /~username is present. Remove this from the entries and save the changes. You might have to clear your cache (or use Ctrl-F5 to refresh the page) but hopefully /~username will then disappear from the links and they'll work correctly on the new server.
David
David
TonyN
Rising Star

Hi David
Thanks for that.
A response to the ticket that Bob Pullen  raised for me suggests that the operating environment of the new server can be tweaked to so that it behaves in the same way as the old one. I think I'll wait to see  how this works out before trying anything else.
TonyN
Rising Star

Hi Bob
The links mentioned above are now working fine so I assume that the sever has been tweaked successfully. Thanks for getting this sorted and so far as I can see there are now no other problems resulting from the migration so far as the files on my webspace are concerned. I’m hoping that as I begin to use the blog again none will emerge from the database. It certainly looks OK at the moment.
AlFox
Grafter

I had a similar problem but luckily with just a few folders.
If you log into the WordPress dashboard and then select Media from the LHS menu, you can see and select the missing images. If you select a missing image it will tell you where the image is located at the bottom of the screen under 'File URL' (or more correctly where it's not located)!
It's then quite easy to navigate the location of the missing files/folders using an FTP client.
Luckily I have a local backup so was able to replace the files using FTP.
I believe FileZilla has a Directory comparison feature which might be useful for comparing with a local backup.