cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre and Phones - Simple issues that seed sorting.

Davey76
Grafter

Full Fibre and Phones - Simple issues that seed sorting.

Getting very frustrated with trying to resolve simple issues. We cannot get fibre to cabinet where we are, but can get fibre to premises. This is the route we would like to go down, but if you do this we can't get a landline at present and would have to resort to mobiles as Plusnet are not yet offering VOIP. . However we have several elderly friends who like to ring us on landline and do not want to incur call charges by ringing mobiles. That is problem 1 which is not the biggest issue. Problem 2 is more serious. Having a disabled resident who uses a stairlift (these go really slowly) and who is left on their own fairly regularly,  means that they would have to carry a mobile phone from floor to floor. However this can easily be forgotten and could leave her vulnerable if the phone is on the wrong floor. Mobile phones have also notoriously low volume ringtones.  One option would be to have multi Sims (two mobiles with the same number and one for each floor) but this does not seem something on offer in the UK - although it seems to be in the US and Canada.  Can Plusnet offer any solutions please?

37 REPLIES 37
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Full Fibre and Phones - Simple issues that seed sorting.

@Davey76 

To be honest your simplest solution is to move to BT, who can supply FTTP and their VoIP service. If you arrange this by ringing the Plusnet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 they will waive any Plusnet cancellation charges.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Mobile to Everything Else.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Davey76
Grafter

Already considered this - but Plusnet tell me that I will lose my current Plusnet email addresses. In addition Plusnet does generally offer much better support than BT (even though they are the same company!). As I say something so simple seems too complicated! Why isn't Plusnet offering VOIP yet whereas BT does?

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Davey76 

"Mobile phones have also notoriously low volume ringtones."

I found that - but about 25 years ago!

I used to work sometimes in quite a noisy environment where I received calls to my mobile regularly. My solution was to create my own ring tone with the loudest piece of music that I could find: I chose "Ace of Spades" by Motorhead, saved it in the "Ringtones" folder on my phone and then selected it from the menu.

After that I had no trouble hearing it ring! Though I then had the problem of finding somewhere quieter to be able to hear the other person. 😉

I also had the problem of putting my phone down and forgetting about it. I resolved this by buying a pouch to wear it around my neck.

Also, most mobile phones have an option to vibrate when ringing. Would this help your disabled resident to know it was ringing?

Baldrick1

@Davey76 wrote:

Already considered this - but Plusnet tell me that I will lose my current Plusnet email addresses. 

That's true. There are other email service providers.

As I say something so simple seems too complicated! Why isn't Plusnet offering VOIP yet whereas BT does?

It's not that simple, Plusnet's FTTP back office system is not set up to manage VoIP services. Currently there's no indication whether it will become available in the future. 

Plusnet and BT do not use the same back office systems. Unlike budget ISP Plusnet, BT are set up to to provide these services.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

. However we have several elderly friends who like to ring us on landline and do not want to incur call charges by ringing mobiles

iis retaining the existing landline number important or do you just need a landline number ?

If its the latter then you can get a voip service with an incoming number from other suppliers

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Davey76
Grafter

Baldrick1 - Many thanks for your reply. You mention that there are many other email providers and that things are not that simple for Plusnet.

Things are not that simple for customers either. The average user has over 70 online accounts - which means updating 70 accounts with a new email address. Add to that potentially a telephone number change and the problem becomes more apparent as any managing system will surely red flag any change in an email and a telephone number at the same time!!!.

As far as I am aware all existing telephone providers will have to apply VOIP by 2025 when the POTS system is scheduled to end. BT says "You need to start planning your move today because there could be a lot to do. Remember, it’s not just about calls." So presumably Plusnet is doing just that!

Apologies for sounding a bit abrupt on this, but the customer is right to expect the best from a company with communications as its core. I have been with Plusnet for so many years now and I have always found the company very helpful and reliable.

Davey76
Grafter

Mister W - Many thanks for your reply. Keeping a landline and the same number are pretty important to us. Could a VOIP provider not enable us to keep the same provider. Could you recommend a good VOIP provider please?

Davey76
Grafter

Mr. Paul,

The points raised by you are very valid. In addition to which I don't want my phone attached to me at the hip.

regards

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Davey76 

For whatever reason PlusNet took a commecial decision not to offer a VOIP service. Their choice. If a customer doesn't like it they are free to move. What seemed like a good idea in past years of using an ISP's e-mail servers is now coming back to haunt people. Although it was only talk, they were rumours going around a while back that PN planned to withdraw e-mail services full stop.

You have a choice with PlusNet. If the phone number is important to you sign up as a new customer, tick the keep number box, and then port it out to a VOIP provider as soon as FTTP is live. You lose e-mail and any other add ons.

If e-mail is more important simply sign up and lose your phone number.

One thing you didn't mention (unless I missed it) is power cuts - VOIP doesn't work without power.

Brian

Baldrick1

@Davey76 wrote:

Apologies for sounding a bit abrupt on this, but the customer is right to expect the best from a company with communications as its core. I have been with Plusnet for so many years now and I have always found the company very helpful and reliable.

I assume that you are not being abrupt with me and are aware that the Community Moderators are fellow customers the same as you? I am not defending the business decisions of Plusnet, simply spelling out the current situation to enable you to decide your way forward.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Could a VOIP provider not enable us to keep the same provider. Could you recommend a good VOIP provider please?

yes but it needs timing as @bmc s post above

Sipgate used to be the go to recommendation but they've recently dropped their PAYG option in favour of a £10/ month product. My recommendation now would be A & A https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Davey76
Grafter

bmc,

Many thanks for your reply. I have spoken on several occasions to Plusnet staff about the VOIP issue. One member of staff told me that it was not in actual fact Plusnet's decision not to offer VOIP, but that of parent company BT for whatever reason. I have been recently told that work on VOIP is ongoing and that it will be offered at some stage, whilst another member of staff concurs that VOIP will have to be offered by 2025. The truth is out there!

As regards email - the great thing about Plusnet's offering is the multiple aliases one can use. This is excellent as one never need use your "real" email address. If one email becomes compromised or there is an overflow of junk mail, one simply switches off one alias and creates another. I use several email addresses for this very purpose. Whilst other systems create "random" email addresses for use it is likely that this will be picked up as spam.

The situation seems very unduly complicate

d. Plusnet were very slow in bringing on Fibre to premises, especially having pioneered this themselves in a trial. One cannot help but think greater forces are out there!

Obviously the idea of plug 'n' play has gone!

Davey76
Grafter

I guess I can sometimes appear to be totally blunt. But certainly would not want to offend anyone. I would rather be forthright and honest about my feelings.

Davey76
Grafter

Many thanks for that I will check it out.