Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre - What happens?

FIXED
Harold1066
Grafter

Full Fibre - What happens?

Our local community has got some money from the Government to have the infrastructure installed to make FTTP available.We were all 'encouraged' to sign up for a 'voucher' which I did which means that I am obliged to take the service. A couple of months ago the fibre 'cables' were installed on our poles and now I have a letter telling me that I can place an order and have a limited time to do this.

I spoke to Plusnet at the time of signing-up [a year or so back] and was told that they did not offer FTTP at that time but that I could switch to BT with no penalty.

I now understand that Plusnet now offers FTTP so will be contacting them shortly - before I do this I have a few techinical queries:-

!.Does the installation of FTTP mean that the copper carrying my landline will be removed? If so how do I go about keeping my landline number - will this use VOIP [I think this is called SOGEA]

2. How does the Fibre terminate in my property? is a Power supply required where the line enters my property?

3. Will Plusnet supply a new router?

Harold

9 REPLIES 9
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Full Fibre - What happens?

@Harold1066 

You can use the following website to confirm FTTP is available to order. You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column. Alternatively just check the PN website and see if it offers Full Fibre to you.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As to your questions. If you have an overhead line then yes, the copper will probably be removed. Underground I'm not so sure. If you want to keep your mumber your need to set up a VOIP account and "port" the number out ASAP after FTTP is installed and working. PN are "required" to hold yoyu number for 30 days to allow for this. You could also just move to an ISP who provides both FF And VOIP.

There will be a box installed on the external wall and another, the ONT, on an internal wall. It does require power. The link below gives some detail on ONT's

https://support.aa.net.uk/Openreach_FTTP_ONT

PN use the Hub2 - if you don't already have one it'll be supplied for £6.99 P&P. You can use your own equipment if it's suitable.

The following link is to A&A VOIP. It's one of many providers and seems to have a good reputation.

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

Fix

Who is the company who installed the fibre infrastructure - BT or one of the other fibre company's - there are quite a few of them?

If you go to FTTP, the 'landline' component will cease and yes you will have to go to a VoIP service.

The fibre service terminate in your property on an Optical Network Terminator which requires a power supply within 1m.

If the FTTP is supplied by BT, and you have a PN Hub, then that will not need replacing, although if it is a Hub1, you will need to upgrade to a a Hub2 if you go for a service above 300Mb/s.

EDIT: please read in conjunction with @bmc 's post above.

John
Anonymous
Not applicable

Post deleted - @bmc answered quicker than I did !  🙄

bmc
Hero

@Harold1066 

Three more "technical" points.

There is a bit of lee way as to where the fibre comes into your property. If it's possible, the installer will work with you on your desired entry point. You won't know until the day of install.

Your router connects to the ONT via an ethernet cable so do can be where ever you're happy to run cable.

VOIP does not work during power cuts.

Brian

Harold1066
Grafter

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. We are a small country exchange and BT provide the infrastructure although they used a third party to do the work.

To get the device near a socket it will need to come into the property in a different place. I assume that I can discuss this with the person with whom I place the order.

I have a plusnet router but this is a Hub 1 - I suspect that we won't go for a ultra-fast speed.

Harold

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

@Harold1066 OK, so you should be able to get your service from PN, but make sure WBC-FTTP shows as 'Available' on the BT checker referenced in @bmc 's post before placing the regrade order. If it is an overhead supply, it most likely will need to enter your home on the same side of the house as your current service, but you may be able to persuade the installation engineer to route it elsewhere, providing it is not too far away and does not involve any sharp corners - the fibre cable has, IIRC, a maximum 30 degree radius bend.

I would suggest you order a Hub2 when you place the order - the Hub1 is now rather 'old' and the Hub2 has better performance.

John
Harold1066
Grafter

Hi Brian

Thanks for both your responses.

I have checked my address and it is "1 Stage" under FTTP install process.

I think that the fibre will need to come in a few feet away from the existing entry point.

With regard to voice over IP - will I be able to port my existing number to who ever provides my VOIP service? Could this be done using my existing FTTC service. I assume I will need a VOIP phone? Can other services like Call Diversion, Call waiting etc still work?

Just anxious that we are not without phone or internet for too long - my daughter works from home two days a week.

Harold

bmc
Hero

@Harold1066 

You only find out on the day as to wether your desired entry point is suitable. Support staff cannot help with this.

You cannot port your number until FTTP is installed. If you try before hand it cancels your FTTC service and could cancel your FTTP order the way the PN systems work. You can however, set your VOIP account up so everythings ready for the port.

I don't use a phone so can't comment on services but it appears VOIP can do anything a copper line can and more. Have a good read on the A&A site to get an idea.

Your current phone may work but you would probably have to get an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA). One thing to watch is any services that rely on a phone (care alarms or house alarms) may not work on VOIP without upgraded equipment.

There should be little Internet down time but you would probably lose a few days of phone service. It'll go off when FTTP is installed and then a short period while your number is ported and set up.

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'