sjf1965
Dabbler

Re: Fibre here before - but not now?

Yes it was.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 257

OK - we'll take that as 'OK' for now, but might have to come back to it if nothing else fixes your speed issue.

Looking at the 'Helpdesk' page, there is nothing wrong on there, except the uptime - I assume you leave the router powered on at all times?

You must be sat next to the exchange, looking at your attenuation figures - this isn't an 'exchange only' line is it?

Sorry to ask for more stats, but can you run https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ , and complete the 'additional diagnostics' please? We will solve this - or I'll finally give up.😉

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@sjf1965  I wouldn't be too bothered with all the diagnostics, your ADSL speeds look very good.

The most important thing is have you ordered the upgrade to fibre? 🤔

jab1
Legend

Thanks for your intervention, @RealAleMadrid - but if you had read all the topic, you would see the OP is not seeing anywhere near the expected performance. IMHO, we need to find out why, as this could carry over to the Fibre connection, depending on the 'bottleneck' - which I am trying to determine.

@sjf1965 - Sarah, I'm interested in how far, if it all, you have got with a swap to FTTC, too.😃

John
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@jab1  Just letting you know I have read all the topic.😋

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the ADSL connection itself, almost 20 Mbps down and 1 Mbps on an old Hub 0 router so it is obviously a very short line, any bottleneck as you put it is either the users equipment or how the speeds were tested or a BT or Plusnet profillng issue. Changing to Fibre will remove the Profile question as FTTC uses a different system. The others can be addressed when the FTTC is active.

By the way as FTTC is now available or was earlier the line must go via a cabinet so it cannot be an exchange only line.

sjf1965
Dabbler

I have ordered the switch to Fibre, and called to make sure it's going ahead, I have been checking obsessively so just hope the change can go ahead (Plusnet are saying 18th but not guaranteed as Openreach not confirmed) before anyone else gets in there!

The speed test is better than yesterday, see attached, with diagnostics as requested

Thank you for trying so hard John!

Sarah

jab1
Legend

OK, @RealAleMadrid . I shall wait until the OP has replied to my later question - there is something going on somewhere, otherwise the speedtest would be better - agreed?, plus, unless the OP is intentionally turning the router off, the connection is failing somewhere prior to the router - why?

BTW - I too doubt it is an EO line, but they must be very close to the exchange, given the reported attenuation.

John
sjf1965
Dabbler

Just to confirm the router is brand new although I've no idea whether this is an old model - and that I've NOT been turning it off, it has been on the whole time since I got it and plugged it in, last week 😁

jab1
Legend

@sjf1965 wrote:

I have ordered the switch to Fibre, and called to make sure it's going ahead, I have been checking obsessively so just hope the change can go ahead (Plusnet are saying 18th but not guaranteed as Openreach not confirmed) before anyone else gets in there!

The speed test is better than yesterday, see attached, with diagnostics as requested

Thank you for trying so hard John!

Sarah

Thanks for the speed test Sarah - very nearly perfect.

John
sjf1965
Dabbler

Broadband went live on Weds. Router has been plugged in since Thursday am with a few attempts to restart it on Thurs and Fri (unplugged a couple of times but still plugged in all day otherwise), however it never connected to Broadband so engineer came on Sat and definitely has been plugged in since then and I have not touched it. Do I still need to check if it's an exchange line? (If so, how?) - S

jab1
Legend

Don't worry about the exchange line question for now, Sarah. Didn't realise you'd only been up for a couple of days - you are still within the 'training' period, so the odd disconnection/correction can be expected for a few days yet, whule the automatic equipment determines your best 'profile'.

What do you get from a Speedtest.net check at the moment?

John
sjf1965
Dabbler

See below.

Isn't it hometime for you guys soon?

-S

jab1
Legend

Thanks, Sarah. Is that a wired or wireless connection - compared to the BTW test earlier, it is very low?

Hometime is about 8PM for me. 😁

John
sjf1965
Dabbler

Wireless .... a newish MacBook. I'm not right next to the router, (up a flight of stairs) but I'm in the same place and using same equipment as when I did the earlier test, (also number of wifi bars showing has gone down). My teenager is home now but is playing music, so not online. -S

sjf1965
Dabbler

Long shifts!