cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre Installation Question

mandabee

Fibre Installation Question

I am on normal broadband with a landline. I understand that is being switched off at some point. Will going to normal fibre (not full) require an engineer to enter my home? I have social anxiety issues and do not allow people in my house. Please help answer this. Thankyou
5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Fibre Installation Question

@mandabee  simple answer is no - other than your phone line no longer working nothing else inside your property will change. 

mandabee

Cheers. All I could find was info about full fibre which suggests that someone needs to be inside to install whatever. At the moment that's not a possibility. I know it's a ways off, but I am glad to hears this.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mandabee wrote:

Will going to normal fibre (not full) require an engineer to enter my home?

Last year I converted my FTTC (normal fibre) connection, to remove the phone capability.

I did the order online, didn't need to speak to anyone, and no engineer needed to visit.

@mandabee wrote:

I am on normal broadband with a landline. I understand that is being switched off at some point.

Are you aware that it possible to migrate your existing landline phone number to a third party VoIP provider ?.

You will need an adaptor to convert your handset, so that it plugs in to your router instead of the BT socket, allowing you to continue having a house phone, with calls going over the internet and usually at much lower cost.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@mandabee wrote:
...... I know it's a ways off, but I am glad to hears this.

Welcome to the Plusnet Community Fora.

It depends on how you define 'way off' and whether you are referring to moving to your existing FTTC service without having the landline phone service or moving to Full Fibre. With respect to the former, by the end of next year you will have to either:

1. Lose your landline telephone numbe.

2 Move to an ISP that provides a combined broadband and digital landline phone service, or

3, Set up a seperate digital VoIP phone service with a third party supplier.

Being forced to move to Full Fibre depends on when Openreach decide to force evey-one in your area on to this service. This could be many years away.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'