cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP showing not available for address

cbcwebsite
Dabbler

FTTP showing not available for address

I'm on a FTTC Business Contract till April 2024 when I have to leave Plusnet as the Business is closing. I have read elsewhere there is a "stop sell" on copper from Openreach on 5 September 2023. FTTP is not being offered for my property, so can not do anything till April 2024 about that - I also want to avoid exit charges and keep landline till then anyway.

What happens to customers unable to get FTTP hence stuck on copper? FTTP is available in the area but not available at 2 addresses - oddly in middle of church sites - so we know FTTP installation is going to be a right pain even if we can get it, but just have to hope can stay with Plusnet FTTC till FTTP is sorted, assuming it can be.   

11 REPLIES 11
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: FTTP showing not available for address

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'Stop Sell' September 2023 date probably applies only to PSTN (ie. the analogue telephone service).  Openreach expect ISPs to start moving customers to VoIP.

I believe if you are connected to a FTTP Priority exchange, there would be a stop-sell for all copper services.  The stop-sell date varies by area.  See the excel spreadsheet found here:

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/the-all-ip-programme/stopsell-updates 

I believe it will be possible to order copper services in non-FTTP Priority exchange areas.  eg. FTTC without analogue telephone service is called SOGEA.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@bill888 

Try the checker shown below. Below the results window will be a message about your Exchange - something like Fibre Priority Exchange Yes / No. Also does it say anything about FTTP

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Is it OpenReach who provided the local network for FTTP.

Brian

cbcwebsite
Dabbler

Exchange is not listed as Priority. Yes line is currently provided by Openreach though CityFibre are in the area as well so could be a possible with a new ISP. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to Everything Else

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

@cbcwebsite, I think the question was is it Openreach FTTP that is available to those around you?

If it is, and there are just 2 properties that aren't showing as having it available, do you know that they definitely can't get it or are you just going by what the checker says?

It could be that the Openreach database is incorrect, and you could actually get it.  You can query that and get it corrected by filling in the form here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cbcwebsite
Dabbler

I looked at what BT were offering to various addresses nearby. That's good if it is just an admin error, but was concerned at both church sites being like that. As it's Plusnet Business we can't upgrade to full fibre with them, but will have to hope we can stay long enough on Plusnet copper at end of contract to sort new ISP.. Full fibre I believe is possible but Openreach or CityFibre will make heavy weather of it as it's well away from the road as Virgin did a few years ago. It's a case of how may visits they'll need and getting the necessary permission(wayleave). From what I've heard so far, copper has  to go full stop, even though installing full fibre will be a nightmare.     

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@cbcwebsite  The PSTN switchoff does not mean that copper has to go, copper lines will be around for many years into the future but will not carry telephone calls using the PSTN service. All calls will be using VOIP over FTTP or copper based xDSL services.

bmc
Hero

@cbcwebsite 

You need to query OpenReach in case it is just an admin error. It might, or might not, get fixed it left alone.

Use the Address version of the Checker. Post code only and then select actual addresses from the drop down list. Select the properties on either side of you to see what they say. You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand column and Available to the right.

If both have FTTP available, then this gives you data to show OR in your query.

As a matter of interest is the property fed by an overhead or underground cable. It might be a technical issue.

Finally, you can check on the OpenReach website if FTTP is planned for your address.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@cbcwebsite 

The very next website I looked at after posting my message has an article on the Analogue switchoff.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/04/comms-council-uk-publish-advice-for-the-2025-analogue-...

Brian

cbcwebsite
Dabbler

Thanks all for responses. Think I'm getting there now!

I checked all 4 buildings(3 overhead, 1 underground) on 2 church sites and none have WBC FTTP and Available specified - that's a discussion with Openreach if we want that. At a guess they are excluding sites like churches for whatever reason. That means these will have to go VoIP on the copper till Openreach have a change of mind.

However CityFibre claim they can supply just one building - so will their fibre go through the Openreach copper duct - if not it's probably too complicated? 

Just out of interest I checked for my flat - neither Openreach or CityFibre here which I think is down to needing Freeholder permission. Council told us how wonderful fibre would be after all the roadworks and many of us can't get it!

bmc
Hero

@cbcwebsite 

It's well worth asking the questions now so you're in a position to move when the time comes.

I would check a few properties in the vinicity for WBC FTTP just to check OR FTTP is active in your location.

Then check the OR website (not the Checker) to see what it says about your property.

Then ask OR via their contact form about FTTP.

Finally I'd phone CityFibre and ask id they plan you do your property.

Brian