cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - Jump ship to BT or wait it out?

DaveCW
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: FTTP - Jump ship to BT or wait it out?

I am hoping Plusnet will extract their digit and get on with providing FTTP soon, it appears to have been pushed back more than once, last I was told by one of PN's Customer Services Chapess's was December 2021, now it seems  January 2022.

I really don't want to Transfer to BT I left them for being rubbish and expensive. I like Plusnet, it's a bit bargain basement but I have very rarely had a problem and when I have it has been sorted quite quickly. My Only gripe with Plusnet, is the loss of the TV service, and still no FTTP packages.

DrVictoria
Dabbler

Yeah. If I knew Plusnet was going to offer FTTP in the near future, I wouldn't be thinking of jumping ship. I'd stay with Plusnet. But I haven't heard anything other than Plusnet doesn't have any current plans to offer FTTP in the near future. 😞 

And since my current contract ends on Xmas day...... really don't want to chance not having Internet over Xmas!! You can imagine how well that would go down (ROFL, and we don't have kids in the house, but my elderly mother is quite the geek! And my brother and has partner may be here too. They are like moody teenagers on a good day!)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Cheers for the feedback, and thanks for sticking with us for so long @DrVictoria Thumbs_Up

It’s definitely disappointing to see you go, but all the best with BT (or whoever you may decide to move to) and I’m sure there’d be an opportunity to return in the future.

We do have plans to offer FTTP, we’ve acknowledged it Here but I can’t confirm precisely when that’ll be. 

But for now, Merry Christmas! It’s December so it’s not too early to say that now, right? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@DrVictoria 

If you don't re-contract then you'll be moved onto a standard 30 day contract - you don't loose service.

If you do resign with PlusNet on whatever deal is available you can move to BT FTTP without penalty (I believe) so if PlusNet don't get their act together in the next couple of months you can move.

As regard to the fibre cable - if you look at the results of the ADSL Checker (which should now have WBC FTTP in the left hand column) further down in the narrative there should be some about FTTP along the lines of "O/H feed, no problems anticipated"

Fir installation the current line from the pole is replaced with a fibre one. In the past this was a hybrid fibre/copper cable but I'm not sure about nowadays, A small Optical Network Terminator (ONT) is fixed to the wall near a power source and the modem/router connecte4 via an ethernet cable so you have a bit of leeway as to where it goes.

Brian

DrVictoria
Dabbler

Thanks @bmc 

The ADSL checker does now say:

<Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.>

Which is great (and thanks to @Gandalf)

I might let my contract run out and pay for a no-contract month - just got lots of other busy-nesses going on right now to sort out amid elderly mother complaints 😉 

And, as for getting FTTP, the extra work/disruption in getting the cable into the house right now (yeah, I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but elderly parents *cough* mother can make a very big deal out of exceedingly minor things) and coming up to Xmas..... and the possibility it doesn't get done or there are some issues coming up to/over a holiday time.... Kind of don't need extra hassles. Kind of at my limit of hassles and I don't have anyone else here to help me sort everyone/everything which has made my brain go to mush - I used to understand techie stuff! (which is why I am really appreciative of you all for answering my questions and getting things you can sort out, sorted out for me)

Still, maybe I'll get a little breathing space and be able to look at all my options 🙂

And no, @Gandalf not too early to say Merry Christmas. And Good Cheer?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@DrVictoria 

Given the time of year and the ongoing health problems you might not get an install date for this year - even if you ordered now.

Unfortunately the FTTP install does require access to your house. The cable needs to be brought in, the ONT attached and, assuming you've got your new router, the engineer should check it's up and running.

My neighbour and I both had holes drilled in the wall (like a new satelitte cable) but two neighbours who signed up later had the cable brought in via the existing copper line entry point.

Another consideration is your elderly parents - if they live with you then it might be worth pointing this out in advance in case there's any extra precautions the OR engineer can take.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

No problem @DrVictoria makes sense. Let us know how things go. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet