cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP - Jump ship to BT or wait it out?

DrVictoria
Dabbler

Re: FTTP - Jump ship to BT or wait it out?

Thanks Brian.

I haven't heard great things about fibrus so won't jump ship to them. Maybe they just got too many customers too quickly but too many people were not particularly happy with them.

I do know of someone else in the village literally down the hill from us (it isn't a big hill) who has BT full fibre. I asked for friend's recommendations on ISPs/Packages and he said he is happy with the BT full 100. He is very surprised I can't get it. He's a techie so he isn't going to mistake what package he is on. I vaguely remember that he might have tried fibrus early on but...!

Aw well. We are kind of used to waiting on choices. And this kind of makes my decision easier!
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

@DrVictoria 

If you post a screen image of the results from the Checker mentioned in post #7 (remembering to obscure your phone number or address) then we can advise exactly what's available in terms of OpenReach products.

Using the checker you can also be a bit nosey and have a look round the village to see if there is any OR FTTP available. Use the address version, select post code only and then have a look at various addresses (down the hill as you say). You would need to see "WBC FTTP" in the left hand column.

Brian

DrVictoria
Dabbler

Sorry for not replying before. 

I have today just been trying to check out deals with other providers to see what is out there (any deals).  Have been unsuccessful online as must of the provider webpages say 'can't find anything' and actually even plusnet when it 'checks my details says 'oops you need to ring us'.

Finally on the EE page, it said 'your address (postcode and house number) don't match the phone number you've given us'

I have tried searching for us on directory enquiries using my surname and town or postcode and we dont appear..... as far as I know we are not ex-directory.

I'm ringing plusnet right now, but I'm not sure if I am explaining my query well enough! As my account shows my address and phone number to be correct.....and the poor guy can't give me any answers.

Seemingly, this is a weird thing and so far I am none the wiser!

(I did get a flyer from BT addressed to our specific house address about full fibre.....so now I'm thinking this weirdness with my phone number and address not being associated may be throwing up issues....... maybe I can get full fibre after all????!!!  *sigh*)

DrVictoria
Dabbler

Ah ha.

Really nice guy at BT has seen this problem before.  It doesn't happen often!  

Our house has a house name.

The house number is associated with the house name.
The phone number is associated with the house name.

Somewhen the house name has got forgotten about and our house number is now not directly associated with our phone number.

BT man is sure we can get FTTP - associated with the house name not phone number.
Our phone number will only give us FTTC.

So we can either get a new phone number (not an option as we have had this number forever and would be very very messy for the elderly parents)

Or, I have to convince plusnet to talk to openreach and get them to update their databases correctly.....

*fingers crossed*

bmc
Hero

@DrVictoria 

There is a procedure whereby an ISP can request OpenReach to check and amend records. Hopefully someone like @Gandalf  will pick up on this and do the necessary for you.

Brian

DrVictoria
Dabbler

*fingers crossed*

At least I know the problem now!

Just hoping this can get fixed before my current contract ends.

Though may now miss out on the current FTTP deals with BT 😞 

(LOL, though probably brings me back to my initial question about jumping ship 😉 )

Thank you for your comments @bmc

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,602

Hello there,

Yup this is a relatively rare issue I'd say. I'm sorry to see you're having issues ordering FTTP. 

I've taken a look into this for you and from what I can see for your line, we've got your house name showing in our ordering system, but this no longer exists in the supplier database or Royal Mail's Postcode Address File (PAF). 

This suggests this particular record had been deleted a while ago and looking at the record that shows your house number in the supplier database, your line isn't showing there either, so looks like things were never fully updated. 

I've submitted what's known as an ORDI (OpenReach Data Integrity) to fix this and register your phone line (including your landline number) at your house number we've got logged on your account Here.

Once that's been done, I'll manually update our ordering system to reflect this, removing the reference to your house name, though that final part would just be cosmetic. After the ORDI's completed its work, I'd expect things to look a little differently on the BT Broadband Availability Checker and hopefully WBC FTTP will show as available for you. 

If you'd like your house name showing against your address, I'd recommend telling Royal Mail by going Here then let us know and we'll submit another ORDI to update the supplier database to match PAF. Though I wouldn't recommend doing this yet, as it may affect sorting the records in line with what's currently in PAF and show FTTP as available.

Once I've got a response from the ORDI I'll update the support ticket I've raised on your account Here which should be within the next 5 working days though it may not be fully sorted within that timeframe. 

Let's hope that it doesn't take too long and BT's Black Friday deals are up for a while longer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DrVictoria
Dabbler

@Gandalf 

Many many thanks.

*fingers crossed* but that is a wonderful quick response,

And this is one of the reasons why I like Plusnet....

bmc
Hero

@DrVictoria 
@Gandalf 

*fingers crossed* but that is a wonderful quick response,

That's what happens when you invoke a friendly wizard!!!

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Haha no problem at all. Cheers for the feedback and kind words. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey @DrVictoria I'm happy to confirm that WBC FTTP is now showing as available against your landline number.

I've also updated records in our ordering system to reflect your line is registered at your address with Openreach now. 

Can you let me know how it goes if you do decide to order FTTP from another provider? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DrVictoria
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf 
That is great news.

I need to ask some fttp questions before committing, mainly, does the cable have to be underground coming up to the house.  We have a 50m drive and the old-folk don't want the drive of flowerbed dug up!  Our current cable is over head.

Anyway, I will try and figure it all out this week and let you know.

Will be sorry to leave Plusnet if that is what we decide.  It has been good since I first signed up to it - actually, I haven't been with anyone else!

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@DrVictoria  FTTP can be supplied by underground cable or overhead from a pole if that is the existing method.

DrVictoria
Dabbler

Awesome.

Thanks for the info @RealAleMadrid